Each summer, we put together a list of summer holiday activities that we would like to do together. It’s always a mix of simple activities with a couple of bigger activities that have been planned for the holidays. I find it having a list of ideas at the start of the holidays helps with trying to keep the children entertained and gives us some fun activities to look forward to. If you’re trying to find things to do in the summer holidays, here are 60 ideas for fun summer holiday activities with kids:
Fun in the garden
- Have a garden sports day – what events can you come up with?
- Camp out in the back garden.
- Build a tepee.
- Make mud pies.
- Make daisy chains.
- Blow bubbles in the garden or make a bubble snake.
- Make an obstacle course in the garden.
- Have a toy hunt in the garden.
- Make a dinosaur swamp in a tuff tray.
- Make a fairy or wizard’s potion.
Outdoor art and crafts
- Do some footprint painting.
- Make bark boats and sail them in the paddling pool or in a stream.
- Make sun print pictures.
- Do some shadow drawing.
- Do some pavement chalk drawings.
- Make a nature journal.
- Do some rainbow leaf printing.
- Make fairy houses.
- Paint pebbles.
Fun learning activities
- Make a solar oven and bake cookies or ‘smores in it.
- Make a sundial.
- Grow a rainbow.
- Set up a moth trap and see how many different ones you can see.
- Make oobleck.
- Raise caterpillars and watch them transform into butterflies.
- Make a bug hotel.
- Race balloon rockets.
- Make a mini volcano and watch it erupt.
Out and about
- Do a rainbow nature hunt.
- Fly a kite.
- Watch an outdoor show.
- Spend a day at the beach.
- Follow a treasure trail.
- Visit a theme park.
- See how many different wildflowers you can spot on a walk.
- Play Pooh sticks.
- Visit a castle or stately home.
- Go on a minibeast hunt.
- Build a den in the woods.
- Splash around in the paddling pool.
- Have a water fight.
- Go pond or river dipping.
Rainy day activities
- Set up a reading den and read stories together.
- Play board games.
- Bake cakes or biscuits together.
- Have a movie night.
- Make a shoebox theatre and put on a mini show.
- Make a rain gauge.
- Dance in the rain.
- Raid the dressing up box and enjoy some imaginative play.
- Play card games.
- Learn some magic tricks.
Simple summer fun
- Make ice lollies.
- Have a picnic
- Watch the sunset (or get up very early and watch the sunrise!)
- Build a sandcastle.
- Lie on a blanket and see what shapes you can spot in the clouds.
Hopefully this has given you a few ideas for ways to keep the children entertained during the summer holidays. If you have any other ideas for summer holiday activities please do let me know in the comments.