We’re coming up to the end of the school year and the end of infant school days for Sophie. The new school year will see a big step for both her and Thomas with Sophie starting at junior school and Thomas starting preschool. Milestones are always bittersweet. The excitement of starting something new mixed with the sadness that another phase of childhood has ended.
Milestones also bring another reminder of the things that Jessica is missing from. Sophie leading the way with the transition to junior school instead of following in her big sister’s footsteps. Thomas starting at the preschool that both his sisters attended. Sophie is quite excited about both these things – starting junior school and her little brother starting at preschool. I think Jessica would have been quite excited about them too. I just wish she was here to be part of these moments.
Watching Sophie with Thomas reminds me a lot of how Jessica was with Sophie. The same caring nature; the same protectiveness of a big sister with a younger sibling. I’m so glad that Sophie’s bond with Thomas is such a close, loving one, just as her bond with Jessica was. I’m looking forward to having that time with them both over the summer holidays and watching them having fun together.
Thomas (2 years 11 months)
- Can now read a few words (including all the numbers from one to ten in word form which means he can bypass some of the parental controls on the iPad!)
- Loves ‘writing’ words using his magnetic letters and alphabet blocks. He has memorised quite a few words now which he can spell out and often copies words that he sees on items around the house.
- Has worked out how to use the search bar in iPlayer to type in the name of the programme he wants and find it.
- Loves helping me pick the raspberries and strawberries in the garden (and ends up eating most of them!)
- Likes to join in when I do my YouTube dance workout in the morning and dance along with me.
Sophie (7 years 8 months)
- Has enjoyed being able to be back at Girls’ Brigade in person again.
- Was inspired by Saturday Mash-Up and surprised Daddy with a cream pie in the face. Thankfully he found it almost as funny as she did.
- Had a glowing report from school and is exceeding age-related expectations in all subjects.
- Has been busy practising her tap steps for the tap solo she is learning and often taps her way around rather than walking!
- Enjoyed being allowed to stay up to watch the Euro 2020 England matches although was quite disappointed that we didn’t win the final.
Jessica (forever 6 years 7 months)
- I was so pleased to find out that Sophie’s year 3 teacher is the same lovely teacher who taught Jessica in reception and shared some beautiful memories at her funeral. I am sure Jessica would be pleased to know that Sophie will have the same teacher as she had.