With the end of the school year rapidly approaching, we’ve been busy baking to create thank you presents for Jessica’s teachers. These chocolate chip and orange biscuits are easy for children to make with a little help from an adult.
Preparation time: 10-20 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes approximately 70 biscuits
200g (7oz) butter
200g (7oz) caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
400g (14oz) self-raising flour
60g (2oz) chocolate chips
Zest of 1 orange
Pinch of salt
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C / 155°C fan/ gas mark 4.
2) Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3) Gradually add beaten eggs, mixing well.
4) Stir in the salt and half the flour.
5) Add the chocolate chips and orange zest.
6) Stir in the remainder of the flour to make a firm dough.
7) Flour a clean work surface and gently knead the dough, just to bring it together.
8) Take small balls of dough and place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Flatten the balls to make the biscuit shapes. Make sure you allow room between each of the biscuits as they will spread in the oven.
9) Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. Carefully transfer the biscuits to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Once the biscuits had cooled, we put them in small clip-lid jars and added tags. Jessica loved helping make the biscuits. Hopefully her teachers will enjoy eating them as much as we enjoyed making them!