I’m combining my Siblings and Me and Mine posts this month as February has been quite a hectic month. We’ve had a week of dance festival for Sophie during half-term followed by show week for The Drowsy Chaperone for me and I feel like I’ve hardly had a moment to stop and focus on anything. I’ve been very grateful for the support we’ve had over the last two weeks from grandparents helping with childcare – I really couldn’t have got through it all without it.
This month’s photos were taken at the very start of the month during our trip to Torquay for the Land’s End – John O’Groats Association annual weekend. It was lovely to have a brief trip away and enjoy having some time on the beach (a rare treat as we live quite far inland). We did get some time to relax very briefly, although had to leave earlier than usual on the Sunday in order to get back for Sophie’s first rehearsal for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Thankfully the traffic was good getting back and it wasn’t quite as much of a mad rush to get there as we thought it might be.
There have been a lot of nice moments this month. Having family time together in Torquay, an unexpected second place for Sophie in her dance festival, the fun of show week and seeing how much Sophie loved watching Mummy on stage, plus having Nanny come and stay. There have also been challenges with ongoing concerns with school for Thomas and sadness with attending a family funeral, and of course the ever-present sadness of life without Jessica.
Thomas (4 years 7 months)
- Enjoying having a trip to Jump In and bouncing on the trampolines when his school was closed due to the teacher’s strike.
- Has stopped doing ballet for now as the others are preparing for an exam and he is currently struggling to stay focused. We might try going back in a few months if he is still interested.
- Has been enjoying getting to go swimming with Mummy while Sophie has her swimming lesson.
- Has been having a few issues with expectations of behaviour at school. We’ve also had some concerns about how well he is being supported at his current academic level. Conversations with school have been semi-reassuring. We’re currently considering the plans in place and the potential other options available.
Sophie (9 years 4 months)
- Is enjoying rehearsing for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang after a successful open audition.
- Enjoyed competing at Chesham Festival of Dance and was thrilled to come away with a silver medal for her modern solo.
- Has moved up to bronze level in swimming.
- Enjoyed doing some river dipping during half-term and was very pleased when she managed to catch a small fish.
Jessica (forever 6 years 7 months)
- It was lovely to see snowdrops appearing at Jessica’s forever bed recently thanks to the bulbs that I planted in the autumn.