We were watching videos of Jessica the other day. Both Thomas and Sophie loved watching them. It made me so happy seeing Thomas pointing at the screen and saying “Jessica!” He might never have met his biggest sister, but he recognises her and he gets to see little clips of her which capture her beautiful personality.
Videos and photos are such precious things. One of the great things about having blogged for a large part of Jessica’s life is that there are so many little moments captured that we probably wouldn’t have captured otherwise. I’m so grateful that I have those memories of days out and little things that Jessica (and Sophie) said as toddlers and preschoolers to share with Thomas.
Of course, I’m still capturing those memories through this blog, and the little moments of life with Sophie and Thomas. It’s lovely to see them doing things together a little more as Thomas gets bigger. Sophie likes to be a mini mummy at times, looking after him – and occasionally telling him off! They do adore each other and I’m so glad that they have a similar beautiful bond to the one that Sophie and Jessica had.
Thomas (2 years 9 months)
- Is enjoying being able to go to Tiny Talk classes again. It’s lovely to see him joining in with the class and starting to interact more with other children.
- Likes to sing to himself at bedtime and usually goes through the whole repertoire of ‘In the Night Garden’ character songs as well as singing along to his musical seahorse toy.
- Loves snuggles and tickles first thing in the morning and will often stop during the day to come and demand a hug and kiss.
- Is a bit of a pickle for climbing on his sling bookcase to turn the living room lights on and off. We’ve now moved the bookcase!
- Enjoyed going on fairground rides for the first time over the bank holiday weekend.
- Had his first proper haircut in well over a year. He enjoyed sitting in the car at the barbers and was very good having his hair cut.
Sophie (7 years 6 months)
- Has got a place at our first choice for junior school.
- Is enjoying being back at dance classes and starting competition classes. She’s now doing five dance classes a week and is loving them.
- Is going through a lovely helpful phase and likes to help look after Thomas and make breakfast for both of them in the mornings.
- Swam across the width of her class area for the first time without a float and has been moved up a level in swimming.
- Got her pen licence at school – one of only five in her year to have achieved this so far.
- Was very excited to meet her baby cousin for the first time and absolutely adored him.
Jessica (forever 6 years 7 months)
- It was ten years on 4th May since we first found out about Jessica’s heart and ten years on 13th May since the appointment when we were told that she was unlikely to survive to birth. Forever thankful for the six and a half years we did have with her.
- I had a lovely chat with one of the other dance mums after dropping Sophie off at her dance classes. The other mum’s daughter was in Jessica’s ballet class and still talks about her. It means so much to know that Jessica is still remembered and talked about.