This week has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. It was my birthday on Sunday, which is always very mixed nowadays. There was a lot of joy this year though as I was able to go and visit my twin sister. We always like to get together on or near to our birthday and we both missed that last year. It’s been nearly eight months since I last saw her, so being able to spend our birthday together was wonderful. I also got to meet my little great-nephew for the first time and see my mum and a couple of my other siblings who dropped by.
As lovely as it was to spend time with my family, after so long with so little social interaction, I found quite overwhelming and exhausting too. I also didn’t allow space for Jessica on my birthday and the end result was being quite wiped out and emotional on Monday. I’ve learned that if I don’t give my grief space when it needs it, it ends up hitting me much harder later on.
As well as the highs and lows of joy and grief, there have also been a couple of very proud mummy moments this week. Sophie managed to swim without floats for the first time in her swimming class this week and was moved up to the next level class. She’d been in the same class for over a year but each time she was on the cusp of being able to swim, there was a lockdown and she had to relearn some of the skills again. Hopefully this time she’ll be able to keep going and improving!
The next day, she was thrilled to bits coming out of school with her pen licence. She’s worked so hard on her handwriting this year and only five children in her year have been awarded this so far. So proud of her for working so hard and achieving this.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 127 – I am grateful for a walk and a chat with a friend.
- Day 128 – I am grateful that hubby is now fully vaccinated.
- Day 129 – I am grateful for being able to to see my twinny (and some of my other siblings) for the first time in nearly eight months and being able to celebrate our birthday together and for finally getting to meet my gorgeous little great-nephew. It’s been a lovely day overall but very emotional too at times – this is my fourth birthday without Jessica and she is so very missed.
- Day 130 – I am grateful that Sophie and I have finally had our hair cut!
- Day 131 – I am grateful that Sophie managed to swim the width of her class area for the first time and has moved up to the next level in her swimming lessons. Very proud of her!
- Day 132 – I am grateful that Sophie has earned her pen licence – well done Sophie!
- Day 133 – I am grateful for time to sit and draw with Sophie and Thomas.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Thomas wearing Sophie’s slippers.
- Sophie’s delight at meeting her new baby cousin for the first time.
- Thomas falling asleep on my computer chair.