The one phrase I probably use most often to describe Jessica is ‘joy-carrier’. She truly was a little ray of sunshine – full of big smiles and spreading happiness wherever she went. Even when she was in hospital, she still managed to give those beautiful smiles. Her strength and sweet nature inspired me then and inspire me still.
We are now coming up to a year since Jessica died. I have no doubt that 14 April – the date that she died – will be an incredibly tough day for us. However, I wanted to do something positive to mark the day too – something to honour our beautiful brave girl. Jessica spread so much joy to others in her life. It feels appropriate to mark this anniversary by encouraging others to do the same.
On 14 April, I would love it if you could #givejoyforjessica – do something to bring another person joy and make them smile. It can be a big thing, or a little thing. I’ve shared a few ideas below if you need a little inspiration:
- Call or meet up with a friend that you haven’t spoken to or seen for a while and have a catch-up with them.
- Pay someone a compliment – or pass on a compliment that you’ve overheard.
- Leave a note of encouragement for someone.
- Share a funny joke.
- Bake a cake to take to work and share.
- Take time to really sit and listen to someone.
- Send someone some flowers.
- Buy a hot drink and a sandwich for a homeless person.
- Make up a gift box or a basket for someone that would really appreciate it.
- Take the kids to the park and use it as an excuse to join in and act like a big kid too!
- Donate a few items to your local foodbank.
- Surprise someone with an unexpected gift.
- Smile at those around you.
If you would like to join me in sharing any smiles on social media on 14 April, then please feel free to use the hashtag #givejoyforjessica so I can see your posts. If you have any other suggestions, please do share them via the comments.