On 14 April, it will be four years since Jessica died. It feels hard to believe that we have lived through four years without our beautiful girl. Jessica spread so much joy in her short life that her godmother once referred to her as a “joy carrier”. It was such a perfect description of our brave girl. She was so full of smiles, even when she was in hospital, and she made so many other people. Her strength and her joy continues to inspire us.
While this time of year is a very difficult one for us and we do ensure we honour our grief and make space for it, we also try to focus on that joy that Jessica gave to us and others in her life. Over the last three years, we have focused on that joy on the anniversary of Jessica’s death. We have chosen to honour our beautiful girl’s life by making this a day of giving joy to others – to #givejoyforjessica.
It would be lovely to see other people joining in and spreading some joy in memory of a little girl whose half a heart overflowed with love. Here are some suggestions of ways in which you can join in and #givejoyofrjessica.
- Share a funny joke online.
- Send someone flowers.
- Donate to your local food bank.
- Phone a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while.
- Make a donation to a charity close to your heart or sponsor a friend who is fundraising.
- Paint some rocks and leave them for people to find.
- Bake cakes or biscuits to give to someone else.
- Take the time to say thank you to someone for something they have done.
- Share something you love – a favourite book, a recipe or something you’ve made.
- Take time to really listen to someone.
- Take a moment to help someone in need.
- Share three things you are thankful for.
- Get creative and make something for a friend or a family member.
- Leave a surprise note for someone.
I hope that you can join me in spreading a little joy on 14 April. If you’re sharing via social media, please feel free to use the hashtag #givejoyforjessica so I can see your posts. If you have any other ideas for ways to share joy, please share them in the comments below.