I love how Thomas interacts more and more with Sophie now. His little eyes light up when she arrives home from school in the afternoons and his biggest smiles and laughs are always reserved for her. Sophie’s first request on waking up each morning is nearly always to hold her baby brother and give him a cuddle. It is clear that they adore each other.
I am so thankful that Sophie has another sibling to interact with. It breaks my heart that she can no longer play with Jessica; and that Thomas never had the chance to know his biggest sister. When Thomas beams at Sophie, sometimes I say “aww, you love your sister!” and other times I have to say “aww, you love your Sophie!” instead because it just hurts too much to say “sister” when it should be “sisters”.
It is lovely though to watch Sophie and Thomas together and see that beautiful sibling bond grow stronger and stronger even though it often makes my heart ache too. Sophie loves to help out with Thomas – to help feed him, or play with him. She had great fun turning his playmat into a den for the two of them to snuggle up in the other day and loved seeing him discover snow for the first time. He was quite happy watching her make some snowmen although wasn’t too sure about the cold wet stuff on the ground! Jessica wasn’t always too keen on snow either although I know she would have adored watching her brother being out in it for the first time.
Thomas (0 years 6 months)
- Has started weaning and is mostly enjoying all the different tastes of food so far.
- Can now roll from back to front as well as from front to back. So far he just rolls one way and then back the other – he hasn’t yet discovered he could keep going!
- Is really chuckling now and will often lie on his playmat and laugh away to himself.
- Has been enjoying lots of walks outside snuggled in the sling next to Mummy.
- Loves playing with the toys on his playmat and looking at the baby in the mirror.
Sophie (5 years 3 months)
- Received her Silver Reading Raccoon certificate (50 books) and has moved up a reading level.
- Received an award of the week at school for “looking after the well-being of myself and others”.
- Enjoyed getting out on her bike on a recent day out at Ruislip Lido.
- Had fun in the snow doing snow painting and making a colourful igloo.
- Met up with her best friend from preschool (who went to a different infant school) at the local panto and has enjoyed a couple of playdates with her since then.
Jessica (forever 6 years 7 months)
- Is still remembered by her friends at Girls’ Brigade which means so very much to me. One of her friends left a prayer on the prayer board at church asking God to “look after Jessica” and another one of her friends looks out for Sophie each week because “Sophie has no Jessica to look after her anymore”.