It’s been lovely being able to spend so much time with both my girls at home over the last few weeks. We’ve been in our own little post-surgery bubble at home as Jessica recovers, venturing out just for the preschool run or to pop to the shops at first, and then gradually managing brief trips to the park and short walks. It has been lovely to see Jessica getting better and better and she’s been doing so well, especially over the last couple of weeks.
After such a long separation from each other last month, it’s been good for the girls to be able to have so much time together again. They really do love each other’s company. Like all siblings, they have moments of bickering and winding each other up, but there seems to be less of this than we had before Jessica’s surgery. They will happily spend ages playing together – mostly creating their own little stories and scenarios with their dolls, engrossed in their own little world. It is lovely to listen to them chatter away to each other as they play.
As much as I’ve quite enjoyed the post-surgery bubble at home, it has been good to start venturing out more as well. Our trips out have been fairly brief ones. Sophie has been very good at slowing her pace so that Jessica can keep up, and cutting short trips to the playground when Jessica gets tired. I love watching them walking together hand-in-hand and to see the way Sophie always tries to help Jessica whenever she senses her sister is struggling.
Jessica (6 years 5 months)
- Is recovering well from her surgery and starting to regain her energy levels again. She needed the buggy for the preschool run at first but by half-term was managing to walk there and back without it.
- Has been enjoying being homeschooled while she recovers from her surgery. Hopefully she will be able to be back at school with her friends again though after her next appointment on 19th February.
- Has enjoyed going along to Sophie’s French and toddler signing classes.
- Was discharged from the eye hospital at her last appointment and will be seeing our local optician from now on instead.
- Loves giving my tummy kisses and being able to talk about Peanut now that we’ve announced our news.
Sophie (4 years 3 months)
- Is now much more settled again having been a little unsettled when we first came home from hospital. Although she’d coped really well with her two weeks at Nanny’s house, we did then have a couple of weeks at home with Sophie being quite anxious if we needed to leave her for any reason.
- Has been very good at being gentle with Jessica during her big sister’s recovery.
- Has enjoyed having more time with her sister while Jessica has been off school and has loved having Jessica come along to her activities.
- Loves being back at preschool and all her other activities and seeing her friends. I love the fact that everyone she talks about seems to be her “best friend”.
- Impressed me when out on a walk when she suddenly made a beeline for a tree and pulled out a geocache that we’d found there over a year ago.