Next Tuesday is the second anniversary of Jessica’s death. Last year, we marked the anniversary by doing things to bring joy to others and encouraging other people to join in and #givejoyforjessica. I wanted to do something positive in honour of our beautiful brave big girl, who spread so much joy to others during her short life. She was truly a little joy-carrier – full of big smiles and happiness wherever she went. Even in hospital, she still managed to give those beautiful smiles. Her strength and sweet nature inspired me then and continues to inspire me now.
Trying to find ways of bringing others joy and making them smile is a little harder this year with everyone mostly restricted to their homes. I’d love it if you could join in with me though and #givejoyforjessica on 14 April. Here are some ideas of ways in which you could join in:
- Check in with a friend or family member by phone or via video call and take time to have a proper chat.
- Share a photo of something that made you smile.
- Write a letter to a friend.
- Share a funny joke.
- Share something that you’re thankful for today.
- Bake cakes or biscuits with your children.
- Take a moment to say thank you to a key worker.
- Knit a couple of hearts to help bereaved families.
- Smile at those around you while out on your daily exercise.
- Share an idea on social media for ways to keep entertained and occupied while staying at home.
In a scary and uncertain time like this, we all need a reason to smile. I hope that you can join me in sharing some of your smiles on 14 April. If you’re sharing via social media, please use the hashtag #givejoyforjessica so I can see your posts. If you have any other ideas for ways in which we can share some smiles, please do let me know in the comments below.