This week has certainly been a scorcher. I’ve enjoyed the sunshine but it’s definitely been a little on the hot side for me. The temperature in our area reached 34.5°C on Wednesday. Thank goodness for paddling pools, ice lollies and fans!
Jessica has surprised me by how well she has coped with the heat. She’s feeling much better this week and was back at school on Monday. I fully expected a phone call at lunchtime asking me to pick her up as I thought the heat would wear her out. While I did get that phone call on Tuesday, Jessica did manage to cope with a full day in the heat on Monday and Wednesday which was encouraging. It’s good to see her getting back to her usual happy self again.
Now that the temperature has dropped a little though, it’s much more pleasant. We’ve been restricted to the garden recently due to Jessica being unwell and the anticipation of her being sent home from school in the heatwave. Now that the weather is cooler, the chances of Jessica having to come home early are less, which has meant Sophie and I have been able to explore a little more. Now if we could just have sunshine with the temperature staying in the mid twenties, that would be perfect!
Things I have loved this week:
- Making a tepee for the girls to play in.
- Going to see In the Night Garden Live and meeting Igglepiggle and Upsy Daisy afterwards. I loved the way Jessica and Sophie just ran up to them and gave them the biggest hug. It’s become a bit of an annual tradition for us to see the show – this is our fifth year – but I wonder if we’ll do it again next year as neither of the girls really watch In the Night Garden on TV anymore.
- Picking cherries in Grandma’s garden.
- Watching the girls having fun in the paddling pool.
- Creating leaf printing inspired doodles.
- Making a butterfly feeder with Sophie – although we’re still waiting for the butterflies to visit it!
- After school trips to the park.