Sophie took part in her first Remembrance Sunday parade this week. She did so well marching with her Girls’ Brigade friends and staying silent to remember those who have fought and died in war. I always find the remembrance service very sobering and moving and even more so this year. I couldn’t help but remember Jessica taking part in previous years and wishing I could have seen both my girls marching together.
I was so sad this week to hear of the passing of another heart warrior – a little boy who had the same heart condition as Jessica. It breaks my heart that there is another family out there feeling the devastation of having to live life without their child. CHD can be so incredibly cruel. My thoughts have been so much with his family this week.
Since the start of our own heart journey, we have followed the stories of many other heart children. Some of those children have also sadly gained their angel wings. I still remember each and every one of them and often think of them and their families.
When visiting Jessica at her forever bed this week, I noticed that there were fresh flowers in her vase. It made me smile to see them and to know that someone else had visited her. Knowing that Jessica is remembered by others means so very much.
As I was leaving, I noticed that one of the nearby trees was a “snowdrop” tree. These are the trees around which babies and children under 5 are laid to rest. I went to take a closer look at the memorials around this tree. I was stunned to see a name I recognised on the first one. It was the forever bed of a little girl whose story I followed a few years ago – another little heart angel. What a strange coincidence that she and Jessica now sleep so near one another.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Going for a walk and looking for geocaches.
- Celebrating at a friend’s 40th birthday party.
- Watching Sophie have fun at a classmate’s birthday party.
- The huge grins that Thomas gives Sophie.
- Picking fresh raspberries from our raspberry bush – I’m amazed that we’re still getting fruit from it!
- Receiving a PlayStation themed box in the post with goodies and game codes. Hubby’s away at the moment but I’m looking forward to trying out the games when he gets back.