We’re now back home again after spending six days travelling on trains and buses to go from John O’Groats to Land’s End and home again on our JoGLE for Jessica. I’ll be sharing a more detailed account of our journey over the next few days on the blog, but we enjoyed our adventure on the whole. It was very bittersweet at times – remembering our previous LEJOG adventure with Jessica and wishing we could have been doing our JoGLE with her instead of for her – and we had a couple of hiccups along the way with delays and cancellations, but there were lots of fun moments as well. Sophie and Thomas both coped well with all the travelling. We took a day off in Glasgow which helped break up the travelling and also gave us the opportunity to catch up with some friends too.
It was great to have an adventure, but good to be back home and have a couple of days to relax and recover from it all! Since getting back we’ve mostly stayed close to home, enjoying some crafts and fun out in the garden. We’re slowly working our way through the activities on Sophie’s summer activities list. The summer holidays feel like they are flying by though – I can’t quite believe we’re halfway through already.
Things that have made me smile over the last two weeks
- Having an evening out and catching up with some of my friends from my tap dancing days at the Tap for Fun 30th anniversary party.
- Going to the Royal Albert Hall for the first time and taking Sophie and Thomas to one of the Proms.
- Being sent some beautiful flowers from my friend.
- Watching Sophie feed the animals at Puffin Croft petting farm at John O’Groats.
- Hunting for the sculptures on the Oor Wullie’s Big Bucket Trail in Glasgow.
- The amazing generosity of complete strangers – we had a couple of people ask about JoGLE for Jessica during our journey and then donate to our JustGiving page. So kind.
- Watching Sophie having fun doing some hand and footprint painting in the garden.
- Putting Thomas in one of Jessica’s baby wetsuits and seeing his delight at sitting and splashing in the paddling pool.
- Doing some rock painting with Sophie.