One of Sophie’s Christmas presents last year was a box for “Special Time with Sophie”. Twelve envelopes. One to open each month. Each containing an activity for Sophie and me to do together. January’s activity was to do a craft together. Sophie decided that she wanted to make some puppets to tell the story of the Three Little Pigs.
We’ve done a similar craft to this before, making the Three Little Pigs out of paper plates when the girls were small. I doubt Sophie would remember. But doing another Three Little Pigs craft brought back some happy memories and made me smile.
You will need:
- Craft sticks
- Felt or foam in the following colours: pink, grey, yellow, orange or brown, white and red.
- Googly eyes
- Small pieces of raffia
- Small matchstick-sized sticks or twigs
- A paper bag
- Coloured pens or pencils
Mummy Pig and the Three Little Pigs
1) Cut out two circles and two small triangles from pink felt or foam.
2) Place a craft stick between the two circles and glue in place. Add the two small triangles at the top of one of the circles to make the pig’s ears.
3) Add two googly eyes and a button nose and allow to dry.
4) Add details as needed with a marker pen.
5) Repeat to make the other pig puppets.
The Big Bad Wolf
1) Cut out two circles from grey felt or foam, two small triangles from black felt, and teeth from white foam or felt.
2) Place a craft stick between the two circles and glue in place. Add the two small black triangles at the top to make the wolf’s ears.
3) Add two googly eyes, a button nose and white foam/felt teeth.
The Pigs’ Houses
1) Cut out two house shapes from coloured felt or foam. We used yellow for the straw house, orange for the stick house and a white rectangle with a red roof for the brick house.
2) Place a craft stick between the two pieces of felt or foam and glue in place.
3) Glue on details to match the house: pieces of raffia for the straw house; match-sticks or twigs for the straw house; and pieces of red foam cut into small rectangles for the brick house. Sophie also decided to add a foam flower to each of her houses.
The Story Bag
Decorate a paper bag with details of the Three Little Pigs story to make the story bag. You can decorate this as a backdrop scene, as my 6 year old did, and then use this as a background when telling stories with the puppets.
Sophie loved making her puppets and had lots of fun using them to tell the story of the Three Little Pigs to Thomas. I’m not sure he took in much of the story but he seemed to like watching the puppets!