Getting photos of my two girls together for the Siblings project is becoming more and more of a challenge these days. If I try and get them to pose for a shot, there is always one (usually Sophie!) looking away, frowning or looking grumpy, throwing themselves on the ground or trying to run away. The trick now is to try and take photos of them together doing things without them being aware of the camera – much easier said than done as there’s usually about a five-second window before the camera is spotted and the moment abruptly ends! I often have to resort to tricks to get them to look at the camera – “Look! What’s that over there?” and then quickly snap away – but they are rapidly getting wise to this too!
I thought a day out at Legoland for the first day of the season would be the perfect opportunity to try and get some nice photos of my girlies together – knowing that the rides and the Miniland models would be the perfect distraction from the camera and that having fun would increase the chances of them being willing to pose for shots too. On the whole, they were a little more co-operative than I think they would have been had we just been at home in the garden and now that the weather is improving, I’m hoping there will be plenty of opportunities to take nice photos of them both whilst out and about.
Jessica (4 years 6 months)
- Was in hospital for three days at the start of the month with low oxygen saturations caused by a chest infection. Thankfully she’s much better now and her sats have come back up again to more normal levels.
- Loves dressing up as a princess – Belle and Anna are her two favourite dresses at the moment.
- Was very concerned about her little sister when Sophie had a couple of days of being poorly and wanted to dress up in her nurse outfit so she could “be a doctor and make Sophie all better.”
- Will happily spend ages drawing or “making” – there are times when I struggle to keep up with Jessica’s creative output!
- Enjoyed having a photoshoot for Action Medical Research who are funding a piece of research into improving surgery for children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Loved seeing snakes and various other creepy-crawlies at a blog event – she was quite fascinated by the millipede and the cockroach and was quite happy to let them crawl over her hand whereas Mummy much preferred to keep her distance and just take photos!
Sophie (2 years 4 months)
- Now has a full set of baby teeth – I’m not entirely sure when the last four molars first appeared but they’re all there now!
- Often comes up to me and grabs my face to give me a big kiss followed by a huge squeeze and “I luz you, Mummy!” which is utterly adorable.
- Can almost count to twenty but often misses out the number nineteen – not quite sure why.
- Loves playing board games – the Gone Shopping game is her favourite at the moment although she hasn’t quite got the gist of it – she will turn a piece over and if it’s not one for her board, she will give it to whoever needs it instead!
- Is now quite confident at doing 12 piece jigsaws (particularly if she’s seen it completed once) and can now do 16 pieces with a little help.
- Loves ‘reading’ books to herself – Stick Man is her current favourite and I love the way she says “Stick Man, oh Stick Man!” as she reads it to herself.