We’re a week away from the summer holidays and I’m looking forward to having both my girls home with me. This summer is going to be very much about making memories with these two little girls of mine. I am not sure how much of the summer holidays we will be able to enjoy. We found out earlier this week that Jessica’s cardiology team has decided that her next open-heart surgery needs to take place sooner rather than later. We suspect that this may be towards the end of the summer but have no proposed date as yet.
A few weeks ago, I thought we were still about a year away from this surgery. I was hoping that we would have a summer without the thought of surgery hanging over us but this is not going to be the case. For now though, we will carry on trying to work through our summer activities list and make the most of the time we have together before Jessica has to go into hospital. It’s a big step on our heart family journey and one that we’re quite anxious about. Knowing that this next step is becoming imminent makes these little sibling moments all the more precious. I hope and pray with all of my heart that there will be many more sibling moments to enjoy in the future.
Jessica (5 years 10 months)
- Got her platinum reading racoon certificate for having read 150 books and has moved up another reading level at school.
- Enjoyed taking part in her first ballet show. She made us laugh though with her elaborate bow at the end of her dance.
- Had a glowing school report. It made me proud to hear her described by her teacher as being “thoughtful, kind and caring.”
- Enjoyed her Girls’ Brigade awards evening and was very happy to get four new badges on her badge bag plus a badge and certificate for 100% attendance at church parade.
- Is starting to write stories and letters. I especially loved the letter that she wrote to the Tooth Fairy from her favourite dolly Kerry.
Sophie (3 years 8 months)
- Enjoyed having beach days at preschool and being able to go in the paddling pool with all her friends.
- Loved doing the ballet show and was very excited about getting a medal for taking part.
- Is quite fascinated by shadows at the moment. She loves watching our shadows as we walk to preschool together. Trying to step on each other’s shadow is a fun game to play along the way.
- Loved having Nanny come to stay and singing along to songs with her at bedtime. There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly is her favourite, especially when it comes to the spider where she gets to tickle everyone.
- Likes to come and sleep with Mummy and Daddy in the night but prefers to curl up on the end of the bed like a cat rather than cuddle up with us!
Linking up with Dear Beautiful for the Siblings Project