Our February siblings photos were taken on our recent weekend in Torquay. We were there for the Land’s End – John O’Groats Association annual dinner and awards evening. It was a weekend that brought back a lot of memories of our two end-to-end journeys and our previous trips to Torquay. We only went there once with the girls (back when Sophie was awarded a trophy for being the youngest person to do LEJOG the previous year) but the memories of Jessica there are so clear. Our trip to the beach, being at the award’s evening, checking out the entertainment at the hotel. Five years on and Jessica still felt very much a part of our weekend.
It was lovely watching Sophie and Thomas having fun on the beach together and remembering Jessica having fun on that same stretch of beach. Imagining her joining in, splashing in the waves in her wellies, holding her brother’s hand and helping look after him. Picturing the three of them together, building sandcastles or eating ice-cream together. Oh yes, she was very much a part of it all, even if it was just in our imaginations.
Thomas (3 years 6 months)
- Loves going to Tots Go Wild each week, and particularly enjoys playing with the foam numbers.
- Loved splashing around in the hotel swimming pool on our weekend away.
- Got to try out the baby ballet class with Sophie helping for ‘bring a friend’ week at her dance school. He looked very cute in Jessica’s ballet shoes and enjoyed joining in although I don’t think he’s quite ready to start classes yet!
- Has started getting more interested in mark-making now that he’s learning how to write letters. He particularly likes trying to write his name.
Sophie (8 years 3 months)
- Enjoyed visiting her godparents on the way home from Torquay and playing with their two girls.
- Was very pleased to get her green swimming cap and be moved up a level. She swam across the deep end for the first time and it is lovely to see her becoming more confident with her swimming.
- Has been keeping busy with all her dance classes and is enjoying helping out with the baby ballet class each week.
- Loved spending an afternoon with her cousins from Luxembourg when they were visiting.
Jessica (forever 6 years 7 months)
- I had a lovely dream visit from a ten-year old Jessica. It was the first time I’d seen her at ten. She was so tall! Was so wonderful to be able to hug her in my dream.
- My sister also had a dream visit from Jessica. In her dream, Jessica was sitting with Thomas showing him a map and pointing out all the places she’d been. He then pointed out all the places where he’d seen her. Strangely enough, Thomas had woken up that morning and asked “where’s Jessica?”. I quite like to think he was also sharing that dream-experience with Jessica.
- Had a lovely chat with the mum of one of Jessica’s classmates. It meant so much to be able to talk about Jessica and to be told that her classmates still think of her and remember her.