Jessica’s been under the weather for the last week or so thanks to a virus. She’s had a cough and cold which has really knocked her for six. She’s been fine in the mornings but is exhausted by mid-afternoon. Her school have been really good at keeping an eye on her. We’ve ended up arranging for her to have half-days most of this week so she can come home and sleep in the afternoon.
She seemed to be getting better as the week went on. Yesterday afternoon though, she was very lethargic and her temperature went up to 39.5°C. Our GP surgery was closed for a training afternoon. Thankfully we have open access to our local children’s ward and were able to go straight into hospital to get her checked out. Needless to say, she perked up while we were there! The consultant checked her over. He thought it was a virus but as it’s lingered for a while now, he was concerned that Jessica might end up getting a bacterial infection on top of it. We have been sent home again with antibiotics which I will give Jessica if she doesn’t improve in the next day or so.
Being able to get Jessica checked out so quickly is always a relief. I can often go from being slightly concerned, but happy to manage things at home, to quite worried and wanting to see a doctor right now in a very short space of time. There is very little in between when it comes to Jessica being unwell! Something as simple as a cough and cold has been known to land her in hospital for a few days. Fortunately, this time she didn’t need to be admitted though. Fingers crossed that she is better again soon.
Things I have loved this week:
- Being featured in Northumberland Mam’s list of blogs that she loves – thank you so much Kim!
- Making a nature butterfly suncatcher with Sophie.
- A day out at Bekonscot Model Village with hubby, the girls and Grandma.
- Enjoying our first barbecue of the year in the garden.
- Spotting ladybird larvae and pupae in the garden and teaching the girls about the ladybird life cycle.
- Going with Jessica on her first school trip.
- Seeing Jessica singing with her class in their last Reception class assembly.
- Making daisy chains and flower crowns in the garden with Jessica and Sophie.
- Going back to BilinguaSing French classes again with Sophie having not been for a few weeks.
- Feeding the ducks at Herschel Park with Sophie.