After an emotional evening at the Girls’ Brigade awards evening last Friday, we ended up taking an unexpected trip to hospital with Sophie after she tripped and fell while spinning around, breaking her wrist. Thankfully it was only a minor break and she just needs to have a splint on for the next three weeks. She was very brave and stayed still for her X-ray and has coped well generally with her splint. Watching her do things one-handed reminds me so much of watching the way Jessica always managed when she had a cannula in one hand.
Sophie coped well with being in A&E, but it was very hard for hubby and me to be back there again almost exactly twelve weeks on from our last trip there on the night Jessica died. The walk to X-ray took us past the back corridor of A&E, where we could clearly see the resus room. We also passed the room where we had to wait while the team took samples from Jessica. The nurse who saw us in A&E was the same nurse who took us to the mortuary on the weekend Jessica died as well. Thankfully we were only there for a couple of hours, but it was tough trying to cope with the painful memories that came back while making sure Sophie was ok.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Seeing Jessica’s memorial trophy go to a very worthy recipient at the Girls’ Brigade awards evening.
- Brief moments of being with Jessica again thanks to her visiting me in my dreams.
- Sophie’s delight at Daddy creating a rainbow with the spray on the hose.
- Teeny tiny baby clothes and nappies drying on the line.
- Getting the caterpillars for our butterfly kit and watching them grow each day.
- Watching Sophie having fun painting a plant pot at a local child bereavement support group.
- The lovely words hubby wrote in my card for our wedding anniversary, reminding me once more that we are on this journey together and we are a team.
- Making a plant pot person with Sophie.
- Seeing how excited Sophie was about taking the bus to Tiny Talk while my car is in the garage having the air con fixed.
I’m a finalist in this year’s BiBs awards in the Inspire category. If you enjoy reading my blog, please consider voting for me. You can vote for me here.