I wasn’t sure if I would be sharing my usual Friday Focus update this week because Jessica was due to have her surgery yesterday. However, we were warned on Tuesday evening that the ward and PICU were both very busy and to wait for confirmation of a bed before leaving home on Wednesday. As we’d suspected would be the case, Jessica’s surgery has had to be postponed and has now been re-booked for Tuesday 21st November.
It’s hard knowing that we have to go through the build-up all over again. Jessica was quite disappointed that her “sleepover” was cancelled. It’s better that it happens at the right time though – and with the ward and PICU being so busy, this week just wasn’t the right time.
On the plus side, it means that we have a little more time to spend together as a family before we go into hospital for Jessica’s surgery. Hubby was away until Monday this week and I think it was quite hard for him to go straight from very-busy-with-a-big-event mode to having-to-think-about-hospital mode. At least this way, he has time to relax a little, enjoy time with the girls and refocus before we have to step on that hospital rollercoaster.
Things I have loved this week:
- Catching up with a friend at a garden centre while our girls had fun in the soft play.
- Jessica being awarded her bronze reading raccoon for reading 25 books so far this school year.
- Trying out new games at the PlayStation Kids and Parenting Showcase.
- Hubby being home again.
- Making a “children’s hospital in a box” for Jessica so she can take some of her Playmobil hospital figures and furniture with her on her “sleepover”.
- All the lovely thoughtful cards and messages from friends and family in the run-up to the original surgery date. Jessica especially loved the Rosie, the cuddly dog she was given at Girls’ Brigade and the card from her friends at school.
- Borrowing hubby’s scooter so the girls and I could ride scooters to the park together.
- Being able to enjoy an afternoon at Langley Park when we should have been in hospital having all the pre-op tests.
Nominations are now open for this year's BiBs awards. If you enjoy reading my blog or find my posts thought-provoking, I'd love a nomination in either the Inspire and/or the Family and Lifestyle categories. You can nominate me by filling in the form here