This week has been all about celebrating Jessica turning six. We would have normally had a party in Grandma’s garden but waiting for a date for Jessica’s next surgery made it hard to plan one. By the time we knew that the surgery wasn’t going to happen before Jessica’s birthday, we’d left it too late to organise a party. Instead, we enjoyed a couple of days out, having fun at Paultons Park and Chessington before the start of the new school year.
Jessica’s birthday and the start of term fell on the same day. She was quite happy to be going to school on her birthday and being able to see all her friends again. We had a little tea party at home in the evening and I think my little birthday girl had a wonderful day. She asked me at bedtime if we could have her birthday all over again the next day. She wasn’t too impressed at the thought of having to wait a whole year for the next birthday although was consoled by the fact that Christmas would happen sooner!
The start of Year 1 has been an exciting milestone for her too. I was a little anxious given that her teacher was new and I only met her for the first time at the classroom door when Jessica went in. Thankfully, one of the teaching assistants that Jessica had last year has moved up with her which is reassuring and it sounds like the new teacher has had a good handover with regards to Jessica’s special heart and the things she needs to be aware of. There are a couple of things which are done differently in Year 1 which have needed to be changed for Jessica but this seems to have happened quite smoothly. The school were really good last year at making sure Jessica’s additional needs were met – fingers crossed that will continue this year.
Things I have loved this week:
- Going on a Duck Tour along the Thames at Windsor.
- Seeing the girls have fun at a garden party hosted by a couple of hubby’s university friends.
- Getting to go on all the rides at Peppa Pig World before lunch – the one plus side of going on a rainy day!
- Finishing off the last of the activities on our summer activities list the day before school started again.
- Making monster puppets.
- Being featured on my friend Geri’s blog as part of her Big Interview series.
- Making Jessica a Go-Jetters birthday cake.
- Dancing around the front room with Sophie.
- Watching the girls play with Jessica’s new Playmobil hospital.
- An accident-free day on the potty training front for Sophie – the first in several weeks. She did really well on her first day back at preschool and I’m hoping that getting back into routine will help get her back on track with this.