On 4th May 2011 I woke in the early hours of the morning and cried as I remembered the events of the previous day. Scared for my unborn baby’s future, scared of the journey that lay ahead. I wished I could wake in the morning and find it had all been a bad dream.
Fast forward six years and once again I woke in the early hours. This time, I smiled as I pulled my big girl closer to me. Relishing the sleepy snuggles and feeling thankful for my babies who had both decided to come and sleep in Mummy’s bed. Realising once again how incredibly lucky we are and thanking God for being able to enjoy these ordinary, everyday, infinitely precious moments.
May is such a significant month for us as a family. It is the month our heart journey began. Dates in the calendar are sharp reminders of those early, frightening days when we had so little hope to cling to. To be here now with Jessica and Sophie is an incredibly precious gift. To feel Jessica giving me a squeeze and telling me “I love you sooooo much Mummy! You’re my best Mummy!” is the most wonderful feeling. These little girls of mine are my world.
And so this week I am thankful. I am thankful for the little moments, for the medical staff, for the prayers and the love of friends and family. I am thankful for the rollercoaster ride that we have experienced. I am thankful for the here and now, for being able to see Jessica enjoying life and having fun at school. For every milestone that I never dreamed I’d see. I pray that I will see many more of them.
Things I have loved this week:
- Jessica getting her gold Reading Raccoon certificate for reading 100 books, a WOW of the Week certificate for fantastic reading, a Headteacher’s Award sticker and her one year Girls’ Brigade badge all on the same day!
- Going for a walk in a nearby bluebell wood.
- Sophie trying on her costume for the ballet show.
- Taking Jessica to see the fairy houses at Ruislip Fairy Village.
- Being given a map of the local footpaths and having fun exploring some of them with Sophie.
- Reaching 4000 followers on Instagram.
- Stepping back in time for an Elizabethan Adventure at Chiltern Open Air Museum and watching Sophie joining in with the Elizabethan dancing.
- Winning Little Paper Swans‘ giveaway for a place on her phone photography course.
- Getting Jessica’s new special-needs buggy. We’ve managed to cope using her baby buggy up until now but it’s good to finally have a more appropriate one!