I have two mini ballerinas on my hands this month – my girls are going through a phase of wanting to dress up in their “ballet skirts” and dance around together. The LEGO Friends songs and the Frozen soundtrack seem to be their preferred dance music at the moment and I love watching them both dancing and singing along. I have to confess that I quite often join in with them too! I really must look into ballet classes for them both!
There’s been a subtle shift in the way the girls play together this month – all of a sudden they seem to be playing side by side as equals – there might be the occasional moments when it is clear that Jessica is the big sister and Sophie the little one, but most of the time they are just two little girls playing happily together without one leading and the other following. They’re better at dividing the toys between them, sharing them and passing toys over that the other one wants. Of course, there still are the moments when they argue and both want to play with the same thing, but they are getting better at taking it in turns and sharing with each other. I particularly loved seeing them both taking turns on a rocking horse earlier in the month – Jessica starting off on it and counting to ten before getting off and letting Sophie have a go – with Sophie then doing the same. It was wonderful to watch and so lovely to see my girls sharing and playing so nicely together.
Jessica (4 years 7 months)
- Enjoyed making an Easter hat and performing in her preschool Easter concert.
- Had her cardiac check-up with her new consultant and the plan is for them to discuss her at the next team meeting – it sounds like we are starting to think about her next surgery which may take place before she starts school in September which is quite scary.
- Celebrated one of her heart days on 10th April – it was the 4th anniversary of her last major surgery.
- Will happily spend ages sitting at the table and drawing pictures – I bought her a drawing pad as she gets through so much paper – only for her to spend a whole afternoon filling it up straight away!
- Enjoyed taking part in various Easter egg hunts over the Easter holidays – especially the ones at Cliveden and Black Park.
- Loves watching Frozen Fever on DVD and always wants to have “one plait like Queen Elsa” when Mummy does her hair in the mornings.
- Loves playing hide and seek with Sophie – the curtains are usually their favourite hiding place!
Sophie (2 years 5 months)
- Can now jump with both feet off the ground.
- Loves to hold Mummy’s hand while she is going to sleep in her cot but still tries to resist bedtime!
- Is starting to be a little more picky about food and tell me “don’t like it!” at dinner time, but will happily eat huge amounts of carrots – I’m sure she must have eaten about 3-4 carrots’ worth when we went out for a carvery recently – we just kept heaping more and more carrots on her plate!
- Loves imaginative play – it’s lovely to watch her chattering away to herself whilst making up stories with her toys or any object that happens to be to hand. The other day, she was re-enacting an episode of Peppa Pig using different coloured crayons for each of the characters!
- Brought the Sunday morning service at church to a very abrupt end last week when Daddy left the sound desk unattended briefly while the organ was playing at the end of the service and Sophie wandered over and pushed all the faders up – if anyone had dozed off, they certainly got woken up then!
- Has some very strong-willed moments and likes to remind us that she is two – thankfully, the tantrums are usually fairly short-lived!
- Is full of “tuddles” and “tisses” and has the cheekiest smile ever.