It’s half-term this week and while on the surface, I’ve been focusing on trying to keep it fun for Sophie and Thomas, underneath I’ve been feeling quite anxious about various things.
It started with Storm Eunice last week. On the plus side, our half-term started a little earlier than anticipated. However, being in a red alert zone did make me quite nervous, as did some of the bigger gusts at the peak of the storm. Thankfully other than having our outside light knocked off the wall by a falling branch, we got off fairly lightly. I spent most of the day trying to push away the anxiety by focusing on doing lots of crafts with Sophie which worked fairly well.
Sophie’s been taking part in her second dance festival today. I am sure that I get much more nervous about these things that she does! She had a fairly quick change between her two dances which I was worrying about but it was all fine in the end (thanks to having help from her dance teacher’s amazing mum). It did make me chuckle when my Fitbit buzzed to tell me I was earning active minutes while I was sitting watching her performance – I’d been sitting down for ten minutes but my heart rate was obviously a bit on the higher side! She made me very proud – performed both her dances beautifully and got a gold medal for coming first in her solo tap section.
There have also been various other things going on beneath the surface that I’ve been feeling anxious about. Some of them have been a bit like the dance festival and been okay in the end though.
I rarely talk about current affairs on my blog, but the news about Russia invading Ukraine has also been making me anxious. I’ve been feeling very small and helpless watching the news whilst praying for the people of Ukraine. It’s just so awful.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 49 – I am grateful that school closures meant we didn’t have to venture out in the storm today. Sophie had some online learning to do and then spent the afternoon enjoying lots of craft time.
- Day 50 – I am grateful for some ‘new’ photos and videos of Jessica that my husband found on his phone. Lovely to see a few that I hadn’t seen before and to have some of me and Jessica together too.
- Day 51 – I am grateful for the daffodils that are starting to appear in the garden.
- Day 52 – I am grateful for lining paper and paint aprons!
- Day 53 – I am grateful for a lovely meal to celebrate my mother-in-law’s birthday. Sophie did a lovely job of decorating Grandma’s cake.
- Day 54 – I am grateful for a day of catching up with my family.
- Day 55 – I am grateful that Sophie was able to come along to TinyTalk with Thomas today. I’m not sure who enjoyed it more, her or Thomas!
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Baking cheese scones and tea-bread for my coffee morning at church in aid of Little Hearts Matter.
- Having some me-time and enjoying lunch with a friend.
- Having a day out at Legoland with Sophie and Thomas. Thomas is now big enough to go on a few more rides which was great. Sophie particularly loved the Haunted House Monster Party ride.