I’ve really enjoyed getting out for afterschool adventures with Sophie this week thanks to joining in with the Wild about Winter challenge. Normally we tend to hibernate a bit in the winter and not really get out after school. Having suggested activities has helped encourage us outside each day though and it’s been good to get out and about in the fresh air even on grey, dull January afternoons. We’ve started to get into the habit of taking a flask of hot chocolate out with us. It’s amazing how something as simple as just having our hot chocolate outside can feel like such a special treat.
Afterschool adventures aside, it’s been a bit of a tough week. We’ve had three close family members having trips to hospital in the last week. Thankfully two of them are back home and on the mend, but the other family member is still in and likely to be so for a while yet. It’s been quite an anxious time, to be honest. Just got to keep taking things moment by moment while hoping for the best.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Making biscuits using the new rolling pin that my in-laws gave me for Christmas.
- Blowing bubbles in the garden on a cold, frosty morning and watching them freeze.
- Seeing how much Sophie enjoyed going to see one of our fellow cast members from The Sound of Music playing the dame in a local panto.
- Having my piano tuned.
- Making ice sculptures with Sophie.
- Watching Sophie and Thomas having fun together at the park.
- Making an obstacle course around the garden and timing Sophie to see how fast she could complete it.
- Watching Thomas having fun exploring. He’s getting quite speedy on his feet now!
- A couple of friends sharing photos and memories of Jessica that popped up on their Timehop.
- Doing some ‘rain painting’ in the garden with Sophie using a spray bottle to spray water on painted pictures and watching the colours run.