Last Friday afternoon, we were invited to Jessica and Sophie’s school for the official opening of Jessica’s memorial. The school had clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it and it was a beautiful tribute to our big girl. Some of Jessica’s classmates and their parents were also there, along with members of our family. We spent time sharing our memories of Jessica and enjoying some lovely butterfly-themed cakes which were made by one of the teachers. Jessica would have definitely approved of those cakes!
There is now a picture of Jessica on the wall, at the start of the main corridor leading to the classrooms, with some beautiful words about her, her time at the school and her joyful personality. Next to the photo are some pretty mosaic butterflies which Jessica’s friends and Sophie helped to make. Jessica’s Year 1 teacher said a few words about Jessica and invited us all to write a memory on a ribbon which we then tied to a big pink butterfly which is on the wall next to the new outdoor arts space which has been dedicated to her.
It was lovely to watch her friends drawing and writing on the easels. There were lots of hearts and little messages for Jessica – “love you Jessica”, “miss you Jessica.” – and it has made me smile at pick-up time each day to see what the children have drawn there. Jessica’s name is still appearing along with more hearts and rainbows. It means a lot to know she is remembered with such love.
Jessica’s Reception teacher (who now teaches at a different school) gave the children some colour-changing LED candles to hold and said a prayer for Jessica, before we went back inside for some tea and cake. I am so thankful for how supportive school have been throughout Jessica’s time there and since her death. It is such a lovely school and Jessica certainly loved her time there.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Getting to try out the new Room on the Broom attraction at Chessington World of Adventures before it opened to the public.
- Receiving a glowing report from Sophie’s teacher at parents’ evening. She is doing so well at school and is so happy there.
- Sophie writing both her name and Jessica’s on a drawing she did for her teacher.
- Sophie’s joy at having a playdate with her best friend from preschool.
- Being able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans.
- Thomas getting his first tooth through. I will miss the gummy smile though!
- Watching Sophie and her cousin play with the Playmobil. Jessica loved the Playmobil and it has been played with so rarely since she died. It was so lovely to see Sophie playing with it again.
- A lovely surprise package in the post from a friend with some mosaic crafts for Sophie, a soft alphabet cube for Thomas and some yummy chocolates for me and hubby.