This week has been full of magical moments, making the most of spending time with Sophie and Thomas and doing things together. It’s been a lovely mixture of events and days out, and simple play indoors and outdoors. Moments of enjoying the sunshine in the garden, listening to Sophie and Thomas laughing together while splashing in the paddling pool and days out at places we love. The excitement of doing something new. For Sophie, that was getting to climb up inside the church tower; for Thomas, it was going to see In the Night Garden Live.
On the whole, it’s been a good week. There have of course been mixed moments, as there always are. Jessica is always very much missed in all the joyous moments although we make her as much a part of them as we can. Sophie and Thomas both naturally include her in their chatter, which I love. Even though Thomas never met his biggest sister, he always includes her name when talking about his family, and it makes me smile to hear it.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 217 – I am grateful for teamwork.
- Day 218 – I am grateful that Sophie and Thomas enjoyed seeing In the Night Garden Live. Wasn’t quite prepared for how hard I’d find it without Jessica though. Of course she wouldn’t have been that interested in it at 10, but we used to take her and Sophie to see it each year and they loved it. The last time we saw it was our last summer with Jessica. Was lovely to see Thomas’s excitement at seeing all the characters and being reminded of all those beautiful memories of seeing Jessica doing the same, but it did bring it back into sharp focus once more just how much I miss her.
- Day 219 – I am grateful for Sophie’s excitement at being old enough to go on the church tower tour and see the view from the top.
- Day 220 – I am grateful for imaginative play (although I have to say some of the fruit and veg in this shop is very expensive!)
- Day 221 – I am grateful that Sophie and Thomas enjoyed seeing some reptiles, tarantulas and tortoises at Chiltern Open Air Museum.
- Day 222 – I am grateful for a much tidier living room after a big sort-out of the toys.
- Day 223 – I am grateful for being able to sit outside in the garden and sew our ‘bricks’ for the church anniversary wall hanging while Sophie and Thomas were playing.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Playing frisbee at the park.
- Seeing a photo of me and Jessica on the inside cover of Action Medical Research’s annual Research Review.
- Having a couple of ‘beach days’ at home with the paddling pool out along with a tuff tray filled with sand.