It’s been a week of needing to be a little more gentle with myself, particularly with my husband being away working for a few days. We decided to have an overnight stay at “the moon” (Jessica’s name for Premier Inn) near my mum’s house last Friday and spend Saturday catching up with my family.
It was a little bit of a stressful stay. Thomas was a bit of a pickle during our evening meal in the restaurant and of course the excitement of it all meant that he took forever to settle down in the evening. By the time he and Sophie were asleep, I was thoroughly frazzled and vowing never to do an overnight stay alone again. On the plus side though, we all slept well and breakfast went smoothly so maybe I’ll reconsider that vow!
I spent a little while on my own on Saturday morning sitting in the churchyard where my dad’s ashes are interred. It’s been a while since I last cried for my dad (he died 11 years ago) but it was one of those moments when grief had me firmly by the hand and I just needed to let it all out.
It was a big relief to have my second vaccine this week. I had to be gentle with myself the day after though. I felt like my brain had been replaced with cotton wool and had no energy at all. Thankfully it only lasted a day.
We’re being gentle with ourselves today as we prepare to say our final goodbyes to my husband’s aunt. It’s going to be a very emotional day but I know that there’ll be smiles as well as tears as we remember the life of a wonderful lady who was much-loved and will be very much missed.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 155 – I am grateful that the rain stopped in time for our afternoon visit to Uppark.
- Day 156 – I am grateful for matching summer outfits.
- Day 157 – I am grateful for a tea party in a den in the garden.
- Day 158 – I am grateful for after-school fun at the park.
- Day 159 – I am grateful to be fully vaccinated.
- Day 160 – I am grateful that the roses I took to Jessica today have all come from our garden and include some of the Pretty Jessica roses.
- Day 161 – I am grateful that Sophie and Thomas played nicely together while I put together the flowers for Auntie Marls’ funeral tomorrow. I’m a little out of practice but it’s been put together with a lot of love.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Sophie’s excitement when Daddy video-called her from inside the CBeebies house while he was working away.
- Catching up with family at my brother’s birthday barbecue.
- Sophie trying to play my mum’s guitar.
- Thomas having a nap in the toddler carrier. I rarely use it these days but he’d just fallen asleep in the car when we arrived at the pool for Sophie’s swimming lesson so it was the easiest way of allowing him to continue his nap.
- Sophie getting her gold Mathletics certificate.