It’s been a week of somewhat emotional milestones. Monday would have been Jessica’s tenth birthday. It was also Thomas’s first day at preschool. Sophie was very excited that her little brother was starting preschool and I am sure Jessica would have been too. Big days like this are always harder without Jessica with us. It was a good thing that Thomas was starting preschool that day though – it gave us some proper space to give Jessica our full attention for a while and to sit with our grief.
Thomas has also achieved another little milestone with potty training this week – his first day of managing to stay dry all day (and all night too!) and we’re getting braver with venturing out more without pull-ups as he’s generally now staying dry and using the potty when he needs to. Well done Thomas!
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 246 – I am grateful for the wonderful glimpses I get into Sophie’s imagination and her creativity when she is making her own small worlds with Lego.
- Day 247 – I am thankful that the photos in the living room now have velcro tabs in the corners and are hopefully now safe from a small boy who likes to climb on the back of the sofa and swing them to try and get a closer look!
- Day 248 – I am grateful for Pinterest and YouTube helping me create Jessica’s birthday cake this year. Wish she could be here to have chosen the theme and be excited about her birthday tomorrow but we will bring her cake to her and remember her birthday with so much love. Miss you always sweet girl.
- Day 249 – I am grateful that although today has been a very emotional day, it has been gentler than I thought it might be. This little boy of mine had a lovely first morning at preschool and I had space to sit and remember Jessica on her 10th birthday while he was there. I’m grateful too for everyone who has remembered my beautiful girl today, for all the love and birthday wishes sent heavenwards to her and for all the love surrounding us as we marked her birthday in our usual way with a little birthday picnic at her forever bed.
- Day 250 – I am grateful for these little ladybirds which were a lovely surprise in the post today and will be added to our fairy garden once we decide what flowers to grow in them.
- Day 251 – I am grateful for being able to have the paddling pool out with bubbles after school (and that our new outdoor hot tap made the paddling pool so much easier to fill!)
- Day 252 – I am grateful to be back at TinyTalk again.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- A card from Jessica’s reception teacher to let us know she was thinking of Jessica and our family on her tenth birthday.
- All the lovely photos shared by others remembering Jessica on her birthday.
- Seeing that Jessica’s garden is still part of the preschool outdoor area.