There’s been a change in the weather this week – whilst it’s still been quite sunny and pleasant, there is now a definite chill in the air and Jessica has been heading off to preschool in the mornings wearing her winter coat, hat and gloves. She’s had another week of being quite tired in the afternoons and has had a bit of a cough and cold which is probably contributing to that. Hopefully she’ll have a little more energy again once she is better.
Like many people, change is something that I struggle with, especially when it’s unexpected and not of my making. Sophie deciding to stop breastfeeding this week has been one of those changes. Whilst it’s been slowing down for a while and she’s only been feeding at bedtime and most naptimes, I didn’t think it would happen before her second birthday. She had a feed before her nap on Monday and then at bedtime told me firmly “no booby, Mummy.” I thought it was a one-off but she’s said it each night since. I don’t think I was prepared for quite how sad I would feel about it as I didn’t get emotional when Jessica stopped breastfeeding, probably because I was pregnant with Sophie by that point. Whilst I feel proud that I breastfed Sophie for this long (six months longer than with Jessica), there’s a big part of me that is grieving the end of our breastfeeding journey together.
On the plus side, it will be nice not to have my wardrobe restricted to outfits I can breastfeed in!
Things I have loved this week:
- A day out at Legoland – just me and my girls. I love going with friends but sometimes it’s also nice to just have a day with it being just the three of us.
- Sophie climbing into my lap to give me a big hug and then grabbing my face, looking right into my eyes and saying “I luz you, Mummy!” One of those moments that makes all the challenges that parenting can bring worth every minute!
- Getting out in the garden and clearing out another patch.
- Managing to have a little afternoon snooze when both of my girls decided to have a nap at the same time – almost unheard of these days!
- Snuggles on the sofa and watching a Disney film together.
- Making some more progress on decluttering the house.