Jessica’s 4th birthday and the slight melancholy that always comes with the end of summer have both made me feel a little emotional this week. Celebrating her birthday is always a time of great joy – knowing just how far she has come to be here today makes me realise once again how blessed I am, although looking back can also bring a whole host of emotions flooding back once more. The realisation of the rollercoaster ride we have been on since her diagnosis and the knowledge that this ride will continue is always a little more acute at these times and I have had a couple of moments where the fear that is always there has hit me. Thankfully, the vast majority of the time I can push it away and it does help me to enjoy those little moments all the more because I know just how lucky I am to be able to do so.
Things I have loved this week:
- Celebrating my beautiful big girl’s birthday. It was such a joy to see Jessica really enjoying her birthday party and having fun with friends and family and she was so chuffed to see her birthday card on CBeebies.
- Seeing Jessica walking hand-in-hand with her best friend E on their first day back at preschool.
- Seeing the power of social media being used in such a positive way as so many members of the blogging community came together to help raise awareness of the plight of Syrian refugees and raise funds for Save the Children.
- Celebrating with my friends Lindsay and James at their festival-themed wedding. Jessica loved the dressing up area and painting Mummy’s face. Sophie also loved the face painting area and pushing rubber ducks down the slide.
- An afternoon doing crafts with Jessica and helping her make thank you cards for her birthday presents. She got so many arts and crafts themed gifts – we’re going to have a lot of fun together with those!
- Being featured as this week’s newbie showcase over at Verily, Victoria Vocalises.
- Sharing a guest post on my tips on staying organised with The Free Range Family as part of her Mum Got Organised series.
- Doing puzzles with Sophie while Jessica was in preschool – she loves doing wooden peg puzzles. It makes me laugh when she holds pieces up with a confused look and “Huh? Not working!” whenever she can’t get it in the slot!
- Two mornings of having some time for myself as Sophie decided to have her nap while Jessica was at preschool.