This month has been one where I’m acutely aware of the time passing by far too quickly and how my children are growing up too quickly for my liking. We’re coming to the end of an era – we’ve had our last term-time holiday, our last term-time days out at Legoland and Jessica finishes preschool this week. I’ve been feeling quite emotional about it all and wondering where on earth the time has gone – surely it was only yesterday that baby Jessica was placed in my arms for the first time and now she is getting to be quite a big girl.
What is lovely though is to see how the girls are growing together as they get older. The way that Jessica looks out for Sophie and tells her about the things that she does (such as preschool and Girls’ Brigade) and finishing with “and when you’re bigger Sophie, you can do it too!” The way that Sophie looks up to Jessica and whenever Jessica expresses an opinion on something, I almost always hear Sophie saying “me too!” The way they are such wonderful playmates for each other, the love that they have for each other and the way they make each other giggle. They might be growing up too quickly for my liking but it is beautiful to watch them growing up nonetheless.
Jessica (4 years 10 months)
- Loved going swimming at Butlins and it was wonderful to see how much more confident she was in the water – wanting to swim by herself and managing to stay in the pool for 45 minutes the first time we went.
- Hopefully will not need heart surgery for another year or two as the team were happy with the results of her recent cardiac catheter.
- Has been diagnosed with glue ear after being referred for a hearing check. At the moment thankfully it’s not severe enough to need further treatment and will be reviewed again in a few months’ time.
- Has started to work out how to do dot-to-dot puzzles.
- Has loved visiting her new school and meeting her new teacher and is very excited at the thought of starting big school in September. Mummy is not quite so excited (sob!)
- Was very excited about getting the first badge on her badge bag at the Girls’ Brigade awards evening.
Sophie (2 years 8 months)
- Is now sleeping in a big girl bed at home after we took the sides off the cot.
- Loves doing different dances to different types of music and I love watching the way she always holds a pose at the end to finish – such a natural little performer!
- Loved having Nanny come and stay and especially loved all the different songs that Nanny sings which Sophie has been singing over and over again ever since. I especially love listening to her singing “There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly” and the way Sophie will tickle me when she gets to the bit about the spider “that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.”
- Loves to give and receive lots of kisses but has started to wipe them away every now and then.
- Has enjoyed going along to Jessica’s school visits so much that I think she would be quite happy if she was the one going in September!
- Has now got her name down to start at Jessica’s preschool in January next year and I think she will love it.