This summer has felt like a significant one – the last summer before Jessica starts school and I’ve been determined to make the most of it. Thankfully the weather has been mostly been on my side and we’ve enjoyed getting out and about, having little adventures. Seeing my girls heading off on an adventure together, hand-in-hand, is so wonderful. They love to explore and to use their imaginations and where Jessica leads, Sophie is always ready to follow! It’s clear how much my baby girl looks up to and adores her big sister. There are many moments when she is a little echo – repeating something Jessica has just said. Of course there are also times when Sophie is very happy to follow her own path too but it is lovely to see that close bond that they share. I am sure that my baby will miss her big sister when Jessica starts school in September – it’s going to be quite a big change for all of us! In the meantime, there are still three weeks left of the summer for us to enjoy and we’ll be making the most of them!
Jessica (4 years 11 months)
- Had her cardiac check-up at the end of July – whilst she is doing well heart-wise, her weight has stayed fairly static over the last year and has dropped in the last couple of months. As a result, Jessica has been referred to a dietitian and in the meantime, we are adding lots of cheese to everything to try and help her gain weight!
- Can now do 100-piece jigsaws (with a little help).
- Is becoming more confident in the water when we go swimming and went down the big flume slide at the pool for the first time. She loved it so much that she went down five times in a row!
- Loves picking the dandelions in the front garden and giving them to Mummy.
- Tends to prefer using one colour pencil when drawing but has now started adding details in a different colour.
- Loved spending time with her cousins and being introduced to the delights of Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom.
- Has discovered the joys of rolling down hills and loves finding new ones to roll down!
Sophie (2 years 9 months)
- Did her first wee on the potty and has started asking for the potty – with the next couple of weeks looking very busy, we’re holding off potty training proper for a little longer but she’s definitely showing signs of being ready.
- Can now climb into her car seat all by herself.
- Loves to blow raspberries on Mummy and gets the giggles every time she does it.
- Loves to help “make coffee” for Mummy in the mornings by pressing the buttons on the coffee machine for me.
- Had a wonderful time at the beach with her cousins and particularly enjoyed getting Mummy to build sandcastles which Sophie then instantly demolished!
- Enjoyed having a picnic in the sunshine at Hughenden and impressed me with her politeness when she picked up a bowl of chicken bites and offered them to everyone else before taking one. It might be a one-off but I was impressed all the same!
- Has been enjoying lots of ice-cream but definitely likes to take her time over eating them which is very messy!