It’s been a week of transition in various ways, starting with the caterpillars we’ve been watching grow. Last weekend, we made the transition from the pot into the butterfly net after the caterpillars turned into chrysalides. The next day, the transition from chrysalides to butterflies began. Last time we had caterpillars, we missed out on seeing the butterflies emerge, but this time we managed to see three of them emerge which was quite amazing.
It was lovely to watch the butterflies for a few days before their final transition – from their net into the outside world. Another thing that was different from the last time we had butterflies. Last time our butterflies flew away within a minute of opening the net; this time they were very leisurely and we had the net out in the garden for several hours before they all flew away. One of them settled on me for a while and then flew on to Sophie’s dress, where she stayed for quite a while. Sophie was quite taken by her new “butterfly friend”.
Last weekend also saw a little transition for Thomas as he turned two. We had a lovely day and enjoyed seeing a few family members who popped over at various times to wish him a happy birthday. He absolutely loved his Numberblocks cakes. Seeing his delight over getting to eat lots of cake really reminded me of Jessica. She was a little cake monster too, whereas Sophie isn’t that bothered about cake.
We’ve also seen a transition with hubby being back in the office much more at work. It’s been nice having him working from home so much over the last few months. I’m struggling a bit to adjust to the old uncertainty over what time he’ll be home from work, and being on my own again so much with the children, but no doubt we’ll settle into the new routine soon.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Getting to spend time with my mum when she came to stay for Thomas’s birthday.
- Sophie having her first outdoor ballet class.
- Introducing Sophie to chromatography and making pretty patterns with Skittles and water.
- Sophie spotting some cinnabar moth caterpillars.
- Making a big Numberblock-2 cake for Thomas.
- Watching Thomas enjoying playing with his new toys – and I loved that most of them were wooden toys.
- Building a den in the woods with Sophie.
- Thomas wanting to stop for a “nic-nic” while out on a walk.
- Seeing lots of happy photos of Jessica popping up in my Timehop and remembering some of our fun days out.