The ‘last times’ from this time last year are coming thick and fast on my Timehop now and unsurprisingly my emotions are a mess as a result. This time last year we were in the thick of it all – the viruses that ultimately led to Jessica’s death had well and truly taken hold and while she had moments of perking up and being a little brighter, she was never ‘well’ again. The anniversary of Jessica’s last day at school hit particularly hard. Seeing her friends going in to their classroom, wishing that she was still amongst them. Wishing I could see her and Sophie walking across the playground hand-in-hand.
The heart community lost another little heart warrior this week. It breaks my heart that another family now walks in these shoes. I wish that no-one else had to endure the pain we live with. CHD can be so very cruel.
Mess feels like an appropriate word this week when looking at what is going on with Brexit. I have to confess that I’m relieved that we won’t be crashing out of the EU without a deal today at least, although goodness only knows whether the politicians can ever come to any kind of agreement.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Listening to Thomas laughing.
- Sophie receiving her gold Reading Raccoon certificate at school for reading 100 books.
- A successful coffee morning fundraising for Little Hearts Matter.
- An afternoon with friends and watching Thomas being able to enjoy the park for the first time.
- Hearing echoes of Jessica in some of the things Sophie says.
- Playing the piano for the first time in ages. It’s one of the things I’ve found hard to do over the last year.
- Sophie painting a rock with a rainbow in memory of Jessica.
- Spending time with a friend and sharing our memories of Jessica.