The toddler tantrums have begun! Thomas has decided that he doesn’t like closed stair gates and the word ‘no’; the reaction to these has been lots of tears and getting very cross at Mummy for being mean and not allowing him to play with the oven/pick berries by himself in the garden/open the front door and wander off. It’s a phase, I know, and he’s only voicing his frustrations while learning where the boundaries are and where he can stretch them, but that doesn’t make them easier to deal with.
Thomas’s godmother’s reaction to my tongue-in-cheek request on Twitter to #sendgin was to do just that. She texted us to say she’d left a bottle on our doorstep which was a very nice surprise. We’ve been enjoying a glass or two in the evening sunshine mixed with pink lemonade.
Sophie had an allergic reaction to something which caused her face to become red and puffy. It’s the first time we’ve needed to contact the GP since lockdown and they were great. We had to send them a photo before having a telephone consultation with the nurse who phoned back again later in the afternoon to check that Sophie was still well in herself and that Piriton and cold compresses were helping ease the redness and swelling, and she’s going to phone again today. We’re not completely sure what caused it but it happened after she was helping me out in the garden and I discovered afterwards that there was a patch of spurge near where she was digging which may have caused it. I’ve now removed all the patches I can see in the garden.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Thomas’s delight at being able to climb up onto Sophie’s bed and reach her bookshelf. He loves sitting on her bed looking at books.
- Seeing photos of my new great-niece who was born this week.
- Doing some nature crafts with Sophie and making masks, wands, a leaf necklace and a leaf crown.
- Another visit from the tooth fairy after Sophie lost her third top tooth.
- Harvesting lettuce, radishes, raspberries and wild strawberries from the garden.
- Sitting in the sunshine next to Jessica’s forever bed with Sophie and listening to the birds singing in the trees.
- Sophie and Thomas’s glee at soaking Daddy while splashing in the paddling pool.
- Watching Thomas enjoying small world play. He’s discovered the various boxes with Sophie’s little character figures in and will bring them up to me to open saying “Mummy do it” (one of his new favourite phases along with “Thomas stuck!” which is usually an objection to the stairgate being closed!)
- Doing some Cosmic Kids yoga in the garden with Sophie.
- Making a trophy as part of our sports and exercise-themed home learning this week.