We’ve been enjoying taking a closer look at nature lately thanks to taking part in #30DaysWild. Every year I find myself noticing something new and this year it’s seeing baby birds in the garden. I’m sure we must have had them before but I’ve just not noticed. I love seeing the adults and chicks together – we’ve had blue tits on the feeder and our regular robin visitors have a couple of rather noisy chicks. I love looking out of the window when sitting at my desk and watching them.
Sophie had a banded demoiselle damselfly settle repeatedly on her sunhat while paddling in the stream at Denham Country Park. She was quite convinced that it was Jessica coming to say hello to her. I liked that thought too. We’ve only had a dragonfly/damselfly do this once before and that was a couple of days after Jessica’s funeral, at a memorial service for children lost to CHD.
We also had our first experience of camping out in the garden this week. This weekend is the Big Wild Weekend for #30DaysWild and Saturday’s activity is to camp out in the garden so I thought we’d have a practice run first. Thomas wasn’t quite so sure about sleeping out in the garden and kept telling us, “Upstairs! Upstairs!” but once he and Sophie had both settled down, they slept well. Hubby’s away this weekend so I’ll be flying solo for our next night camping – hopefully it will go as well as the last one!
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 162 – I am grateful to have known this wonderful lady and to have had her as part of my family. RIP Auntie Marls, you will be so very much missed.
- Day 163 – I am grateful that Thomas enjoys playing with the letter blocks as much as his sisters did. Lovely too to get little glimpses into how he picks up and remembers things – can you guess what his current favourite DVD is? (And yes he did spell it out all by himself)
- Day 164 – I am grateful for my lovely big birth pool.
- Day 165 – I am grateful for one to one time with Sophie while Thomas was napping in the buggy.
- Day 166 – I am grateful that Thomas can freely move between playing with toys outside or inside when the weather is nice at this time of year.
- Day 167 – I am grateful that our first experience of camping out in the garden went fairly well. Both children slept quite well (once they finally settled down) and I’m not as tired today as I thought I might be either.
- Day 168 – I am grateful for all the baby birds appearing in the garden.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Watching Sophie and Thomas having fun with their cousins in Grandma’s garden.
- Gathering elderflowers and making elderflower cordial.
- Playing around with the Voila app and making cartoon versions of us from photos.