We spent last weekend with my family, having a big party to celebrate my mum’s eightieth birthday. It was so lovely to see so many of my siblings, nieces and nephews and great-nieces and great-nephews all together in one place. My mum loves nothing more than being surrounded by her family. She was in her element being at the centre of it all. It was wonderful to watch her getting up on the dance floor with everyone and having such a brilliant time.
Given that I’d travelled down for the weekend for her birthday party, I knew that my mum wouldn’t be expecting to see me on her actual birthday a couple of days later. Her face when she saw me was an absolute picture! It was only a flying visit as I had to drive back again to be in home in time for the school run, but it was well worth it to give her a birthday surprise. Thomas surprised us all too by joining in with singing Happy Birthday.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Putting together a special flower arrangement for my mum.
- Doing a doodle of my mum with me and my siblings inside her birthday card from all of us.
- Stepping back in time at Milestones museum.
- Thomas calling out “Michael!” to get Daddy’s attention. It so reminded me of how Jessica used to stand at the bottom of the stairs and shout “Michael! Get up, Michael!”
- Seeing how much Thomas enjoys mark-making.
- Sophie moving up another reading level at school and being on gold books.
- Seeing a pretty rainbow on the way home from the park.