Today is my third blogiversary! It is three years today since I published my first post. What started out as a place for me to reflect, prompted by a 40acts challenge, has grown into much more. It’s been an online journal charting the little moments of my two girls growing up and an opportunity to raise awareness of congenital heart defects through sharing our life as a heart family. Through my blog, I’ve rediscovered the person behind the mummy, become part of a wonderful online community and had some amazing experiences. It is, quite simply, part of who I am now and I love it.
You may have noticed that things have been a little quiet on the blog this week. It may have been quiet with regards to posts but behind the scenes has been anything but! I’ve had a similar theme ever since I started blogging and a change was long overdue. I’ve been busy making changes ready to launch my new look and I hope you like it. It’s been quite a steep learning curve in places but we’re here and the blog has survived the process (phew!)
The last three years: what I’ve learned
The last year has seen me enter the top 100 of the Tots100, become a brand ambassador and be sponsored for a blog conference for the first time. This little blog ticks along steadily and writing for it is part of my routine. I’ve learned a lot about holding on to why I started blogging and the reasons why I love it.
There have been times when I have felt overwhelmed by blogmin, hung up on stats and charts and all the things that suck the joy out of blogging. I have learned a lot about letting go of pressure and embracing the kind of blogger I am and being happy with that. The first year of blogging was about learning blogcraft and the second about discovering what I wanted from blogging. This last year has been about embracing the blogger I am and becoming comfortable in my blogging skin.
I’ve rediscovered my love of drawing since attending Jennie Maizel’s sketch club workshop at #BML16 last year. It’s been gradually creeping in to the blog here and there. There will be more of it in the future – starting with my new header.
Thank you to everyone who has followed my blog over the years, read my posts and encouraged me along the way. I’ll be offering a series of giveaways over the coming days to celebrate my blogiversary. Wishing you the best of luck if you decide to enter!
Things I have loved this week:
- The start of the Easter holidays and having both my girls at home all day!
- Baking Easter biscuits together.
- Spending a sunny afternoon at Chiltern Open Air Museum and looking forward to many more now that it’s opened for the season.
- Making a toilet roll chick and rabbit with the girls.
- Snuggling on the sofa with Jessica and listening to her read.
- Watching Sophie having fun in the sandpit in the play area at Denham Country Park.
- Lunch at the church café with both my girls.
- Getting the girls’ feet measured and being told they’re both still the same size. No new shoes needed this time – hooray!
- Making a dress for one of the fairy dolls from felt and ribbon.
- Seeing all the pretty rhododendrons at Langley Park.