Happy new year everyone! We’ve been discovering new places, trying new recipes, learning new skills and making some new things part of our routine this week. Sophie started at a new dance school this week and has enjoyed her first few dance classes there. It means her dance lessons are a little more spread out during the week than they have been, but on the plus side we have Saturdays free again.
We haven’t made any new year resolutions but have started a couple of new things for the year. My favourite is starting the day with five minutes of snuggle time on the sofa together while reading the nature poem for the day from ‘I Am The Seed That Grew The Tree’. I think this is Sophie’s favourite new thing too!
I’m continuing with my #365daysofgratitude daily challenge for the seventh year and it’s been lovely to see some new people joining in with me this year. It’s such a lovely thing to do and while it isn’t always easy to find those grateful moments each day, I always feel better for looking for them.
This year I’m also going to try the #1000hoursoutside challenge again. We managed to do this in 2020 and it was great for encouraging us outside each day. I’ve signed Thomas up to some forest school sessions starting next week and have been getting outside each day for a walk with him while Sophie is at school. I’m not sure if we’ll manage the full 1000 hours (it was quite an effort to do it last time) but just spending more time outside will be a good thing.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 1 – I am grateful for a flask of hot chocolate on a winter walk.
- Day 2 – I am grateful for new recipes especially when the end result is as yummy as today’s beef and stout stew with cheesy mash was. Will definitely be making this one again.
- Day 3 – I am grateful for an afternoon out on a Gruffalo trail.
- Day 4 – I am grateful for time to help Sophie learn how to use her new knitting loom and start making a scarf.
- Day 5 – I am grateful that Sophie enjoyed her first dance classes at her new dance school.
- Day 6 – I am grateful for the beauty of frost-covered leaves.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Taking Sophie and Thomas to the toy shop to spend their Christmas money.
- Finding a good tree to climb while out on a walk.