We’ve been making the most of the last few days of the summer holidays and enjoying time with friends. Last weekend was filled with outdoor parties – a birthday party for one of Sophie’s friends and our friends’ annual garden party. It’s the first time we’ve seen them since their 2019 Christmas party so it was lovely to catch up.
We finished off the summer holidays with a couple of days out with friends before school started again. Sophie was very excited today to head off for her first day at junior school and see all her friends again at the school gate.
I’m thankful for friends this week. This time of year is a hard one. The usual end-of-summer blues plus the sadness of the start of another school year without Jessica and another milestone that we didn’t experience with Jessica. September is also Jessica’s birthday month and next week she would have been turning ten. Ten feels like such a huge milestone birthday and it hurts so much that Jessica isn’t here to experience it. I’m fully expecting the next few days to be tough. We’ll get through them, remembering Jessica with love as we always do.
What I’ve been grateful for this week:
- Day 239 – I am grateful for a lovely day visiting my mum and catching up with some of my family.
- Day 240 – I am grateful that Sophie had a fun afternoon at a friend’s birthday party.
- Day 241 – I am grateful for cake, a long overdue catch-up with friends and watching the children having fun at our friends’ garden party.
- Day 242 – I am grateful for a lovely Sophie-Mummy day out going with a group from Sophie’s dance school to see one of the girls from the dance school performing in Joseph. Great show, the kids were all amazing in it.
- Day 243 – I am grateful for a lovely morning with friends.
- Day 244 – I am grateful for fun making a propeller-driven boat with Sophie (and for my husband pointing out all the things that were wrong with our design and helping make it work properly!)
- Day 245 – I am grateful that Sophie enjoyed her first day at junior school.
Other things that have made me smile this week:
- Taking a photo of ‘three Gretls together’ after seeing Joseph – Sophie plus two girls who played Gretl on the UK tour of The Sound of the Music (one of whom is the girl who goes to her dance school who was in Joseph).
- Finding Paddington at Paddington station.
- Completing my 400,000 steps challenge in aid of The Compassionate Friends.
- Sophie coming home from her first day at school with a sticker for being “the times table queen”.