Sophie really has been the star of the show this week. She absolutely loved every minute of doing The Sound of Music and I was so proud of her performance. I got quite emotional at times watching her from the wings!
I thought the post-show blues would hit us quite hard after all the highs of the show, but Sophie’s birthday helped to keep them at bay. We went out for a post-show lunch with some of the cast and it was so lovely to watch Sophie sitting and playing with one of her von Trapp siblings. It reminded me so much of the way she and Jessica used to play together. We visited Jessica’s forever bed on our way home – she had to be part of her sister’s birthday too.
We’ve been on half-term this week so have been able to take it easy and recover from a busy show week. I think that’s also helped ease the post-show blues too – we’ve had other things to look forward to. I’m sure there’ll be a low to come at some point though and I’m prepared for that.
Sophie was also on the TV this week on Children in Need: Got it Covered. We were sharing her and Jessica’s story to help raise awareness of how Halo Children’s Foundation helps bereaved children and highlight the importance of Children in Need funding to support these kinds of charities. Back in the summer, we had a visit from Jodie Whittaker at our Halo group. She was absolutely lovely – very down-to-earth and friendly. It was a very emotional day, but hopefully sharing our story will help other families too. If you didn’t see the programme, you can see our clip below. And please do consider donating to Children in Need too!
Things that have made me smile this week
- Having all the cast sing “Happy Birthday” to Sophie at the end of the show. She loved her Sound of Music pop-up book that they gave her too.
- Watching Sophie open her cards and presents. I love how she really took the time to appreciate each one before moving on to the next.
- A couple of lovely days out at Denham Country Park. We dissected an owl pellet, which was absolutely fascinating; planted spring bulbs and enjoyed taking part in the Halloween trail.
- Catching up with cousins on both sides of the family.
- Watching Sophie and Thomas having fun with autumn leaves.
- A fun day out at Chiltern Open Air Museum.
- Being able to take Sophie to Thomas’s Tiny Talk class. She loved being back again, especially as it was a Halloween special session. She and Thomas were the cutest little witch and wizard!
- Watching Sophie having fun with one of her friends at the light party at her friend’s church.