The last week has been quite a stressful one. I’ve been feeling overwhelmed and anxious about various things going on around me; trying to juggle too many balls; pouring from an empty cup. One of those weeks where everything just feels a bit too much and when grief comes up and repeatedly smacks me in the face.
Tiredness doesn’t help. I can count on one hand how many “good” nights I’ve had in the last eighteen months, although admittedly one of them has been in the last week. Apart from that one night though, Thomas has been waking several times a night and not napping well in the daytime either which is not a fun combination. He’s also reached the stage where he’s learned how to climb and I’m rapidly running out of places where things can be kept out of reach of an inquisitive toddler! It’s been quite frustrating at times (and I’m sure that’s true for him too when Mummy keeps taking away the interesting-looking object that he’s just grabbed!)
With weeks like this where there’s so much going on around me – work, worries about family members, trying to juggle all the little things of everyday life – it’s easy to get really bogged down by the stress and forget that there are good moments too. That actually, although stressful is the word that first jumps to mind when I think back over this week, there have been moments of calm and moments of fun too. It’s been a tough one, but I just need to take a deep breath and keep going, one little step at a time. And fingers crossed for a bit more sleep soon because everything seems much more bearable when I’ve managed a reasonable amount of rest!
Things that have made me smile this week
- Getting out for a run while Sophie was at her ballet class.
- Being asked by Sophie’s friend to be her godmother when she was baptised at our church last weekend.
- Doing some beading with Sophie to make a couple of baptism gifts for her friend.
- Being given some lovely flowers by one of our friends and catching up with him when he came over for dinner.
- Making story puppets with Sophie and watching her use them to tell the story of the Three Little Pigs to Thomas.
- Going on a matchbox hike around the park with Sophie and looking for tiny nature treasures to collect in her matchbox.
- The beautiful quilt that a friend of mine made for Thomas.
- Sophie going up another reading level at school. She’s now on purple books.
- Watching Sophie having fun doing some mud painting in the garden.