It’s been a bittersweet week. Jessica had her last day at preschool on Wednesday – the end of an era for her. Emotionally, I’ve been up and down like a yo-yo. The littlest things have had me in tears – emptying her preschool bag for the last time and finding her “I’m in today” photo card and drawer label in the bag in there; putting away the last pieces of preschool art in her artwork folder; looking back through photos of her time at preschool.
The realisation that my little girl is growing up has hit me very hard and I’m feeling like I’m saying goodbye to the little girl that she once was. I’ve had Slipping Through My Fingers playing in my head (of all the times to get that one as an earworm!) and goodness only knows what I’ll be like when she actually starts school. And yet, I know too how incredibly lucky we are to be here – that this is a moment I couldn’t have even dreamed I’d have five years ago. But my goodness, it’s an emotional one!
Things I have loved this week:
- Jessica getting the very first badge on her badge bag at her Girls’ Brigade awards evening.
- Celebrating my beautiful big sister Maxine’s 50th birthday and catching up with my family.
- Getting up and doing karaoke with my hubby for the first time – in spite of all those karaoke nights at the union bar in our student days, we’d never done karaoke together before!
- Watching Jessica taking the offertory plate around during the church parade service and looking very little and very grown-up all at the same time.
- My wonderful hubby presenting me with a pretty woollen heart for our 7th wedding anniversary – he stayed up all night to make it, bless him.
- Having a date night and going bowling with my hubby – and realising that it was our first date night this year so long overdue!
- Sharing a guest post about Parenting from a Special Perspective on Diary of an Imperfect Mum’s blog.
- Starting the summer holidays with a day out at Bekonscot model village.