Jessica has made some big steps this week with her recovery and has been moved out of high care on to a “normal” bay. Now that I am able to stay with Jessica on the ward, we are able to have Sophie back with us again. It has been two weeks since I last saw my baby girl and being reunited yesterday afternoon was absolutely wonderful. I have missed those big hugs and that cheeky grin and Jessica has certainly missed her little sister.
Sophie will be staying with Daddy at the Ronald McDonald House. While Jessica was on high care and PICU, hubby and I were taking turns to sit with her during the night. We had a little routine that worked well – I went to bed around 9.30pm while hubby did the first part of the night, and then I took over around 4.30am and he got to sleep in until lunchtime. That way we both got a reasonable chunk of sleep. I have to say that while my nights on the ward might be a little more disturbed, it is good not to be getting up quite so early each morning!
Things I have loved this week:
- Seeing all the wires and tubes surrounding Jessica gradually reduce each day. The chest drains have been removed and she is off oxygen. We just have the cannula and the NG tube left to go now.
- Watching Jessica have fun doing some arts and crafts.
- A couple of visits from the Pets as Therapy dog (and his human!)
- Jessica receiving some lovely parcels in the post. The box from her friends at Girls’ Brigade made me cry – there were handmade cards in there from nearly every girl in her company, not just the Explorers section.
- Seeing how much Jessica is enjoying her one-to-one bedside teaching sessions after having been registered with the hospital school this week.
- Being surprised by Jessica suddenly appearing in the ward kitchen with her trolley the first time she was able to get out of bed and go for a walk.
- Chatting to other parents on the ward. There is such a wonderful sense of community on the children’s cardiac ward and it really does make hospital stays so much easier.
- Visits from Godmummy Katy, Grandma, Grandad and Nanny.
Nominations are now open for this year's BiBs awards. If you enjoy reading my blog or find my posts thought-provoking, I'd love a nomination in either the Inspire and/or the Family and Lifestyle categories. You can nominate me by filling in the form here