The pre-Christmas preparations have started and this week has felt like a very productive one. I’ve been busy ticking things off the to-do list – making lists, going shopping, buying presents. I’ve even made a start on the wrapping which is unheard of this early in December. I’m hoping that being organised will help ease some of the usual pre-Christmas stress later on. Hubby is due to go away for work for a few days in the middle of December, which is usually when I’m most stressed with all the Christmas preparations. Let’s hope that I won’t feel too overwhelmed while he’s away.
I made a Christmas wreath for Jessica again and took it up to her forever bed at the start of the week. My Christmas present to her. I wish I could go shopping for her like I do Sophie and Thomas, but as I can’t, I just pour all the love I can into making her Christmas wreath.
To be honest, I don’t think this second festive season without Jessica is any easier than last year. I can’t say I feel very festive at all, but I’m trying to make it fun for Sophie and Thomas. It is lovely to see how excited Sophie is for Christmas and Thomas seems to be enjoying the festive season so far too. We’ll be okay. Just got to keep taking it moment by moment, that’s all and remind myself that Christmas is about spending time with family and everything else is just trimmings and nothing more.
Things that have made me smile this week
- Baking cakes and cheese scones for our coffee morning fundraising for Little Hearts Matter.
- Watching Sophie having fun at the school Christmas fayre.
- Having my sister come and stay for a couple of nights.
- Having a rare date night with my hubby and going out for a lovely meal.
- Getting to see one of my WOS friends from The Sound of Music performing in panto.
- Having sleepy snuggles with Thomas.
- Sophie’s excitement at being able to walk with Thomas, holding his hand, on the way to and from school.
- An after-school trip to Santa’s Grotto.