December is here, the chocolate Advent calendars are being opened, and the girls are getting excited that Christmas is getting nearer! We’re doing a book Advent calendar again this year and I’m looking forward to snuggling up together each evening and reading a Christmassy story together. We also have a lovely Advent scene that the girls’ lovely godmother bought for them – each day we add another character and gradually build up a picture of a school Nativity production.
I love seeing the Advent candles being lit each week at church and this year Jessica and Sophie came forward with the Junior Church leader who helped them to light the first candle together. It was so lovely to see both the girls at the front.
We’ve also been to the first Christmas party of the year – the Families of Ocean Ward Christmas party and Father Christmas paid a visit. The highlight of the party for me was watching Jessica make a new friend – a little girl who has also has half a working heart and who has recently had the operation that Jessica is due to have in the next year or so. To see Jessica and her new friend having such a wonderful time together was so magical and I’m hoping that we can meet up again after Christmas.
Things I have loved this week:
- A reassuring cardiac check-up for Jessica where we were told that her heart function looks good and that the plan is still to keep monitoring and wait until Jessica is a bit bigger before considering her next surgery.
- Having Monty the monkey, Jessica’s class toy, to stay for the weekend.
- Lighting Jessica’s baptism candle on the anniversary of her welcoming service and the reminder of how far she’s come since then.
- Watching Jessica singing with the other children in the Reception assembly at school.
- Making the most of the cold, sunny days and getting out and about with Sophie.
- Waking up to pretty sunrises.
- Watching Sophie dancing along to the songs in her Bilingua Sing French class.
- Dancing around the front room to Christmas songs with Jessica and Sophie.
- The beauty of frosty mornings.