Wishing the moments away

Yesterday, you climbed into my lap for a snuggle
And I thought of the tasks that I needed to juggle
And instead of letting myself make the most of the cuddle
Impatiently waited for it to be through

All those times in the night when you had to be fed
All the hours I spent sitting next to your bed
Thinking of the things I could be doing instead
Worrying about everything I needed to do.

Those times you would sleep, cuddled up on my chest
Moments I took for granted, when it must be confessed
I forgot to look down at you, and just looked at the mess
Almost wishing those moments away

Then I blinked: you were running here, there, everywhere
And I found myself missing those moments we shared
As cuddling up on the sofa became increasingly rare
Rejected in favour of play

This morning, we stopped for a moment to snuggle
And I forgot all the tasks that I needed to juggle
And took time to enjoy the pure joy of the cuddle
And that precious moment of being with you

A much smaller Sophie having snuggles with Mummy - "Wishing the moments away"

Inspired by Mum Turned Mom for The Prompt #125 – “Comfort”

mumturnedmom
Cuddle Fairy

Prose for ThoughtAnd then the fun began...

37 thoughts on “Wishing the moments away

1. Lucy At Home

Beautiful. It really is hard to appreciate what we have when we know everything else we have to juggle. But taking the time to stop and be in the moment makes all the moments worthwhile! #BloggerClubUK

Thank you – I don’t stop as often as I would like but it is beautiful when I do stop and appreciate the moment 🙂

2. justsayingmum

‘that precious moment of being with you’ – oh this is so beautiful and is really going to stay with me. Treasure those moments so much more than perhaps we do. Just lovely, Louise xx #BloggerClubUK

Thank you – I don’t treasure those moments enough but now that they’re becoming less frequent, I’m learning to stop and enjoy them x

3. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

Oh, that’s beautiful Louise, I love your poetry. We’ve had a week of lots of cuddles as Max has had a cold, and I’m definitely guilty of thinking about all those things I’ve not managed to do. But they’re becoming increasingly rare these days, and I do love them – takes me right back to when he was little. #bloggerclubuk

Thank you so much Katy – it does make you appreciate them a little more when they start becoming rarer. Hope Max feels better soon x

4. Emma

Oh this is such a lovely poem Louise. Also a real poignant reminder that we have to make the most of the now and those cuddles. I am dreading the day when they stop wanting cuddles. I won’t let it happen and will be one of those parents that insist their children hug them outside the school gates! #bloggerclubuk

Thank you Emma – I think I will end up being one of those parents too – I don’t want them to get to the point where they no longer want the cuddles!

5. claire

This actually made me choke up, it really hit a chord. I need to stop thinking about the things I’ve got to do and just focus on snuggle time. xx #bloggerclubuk

So difficult to do though sometimes isn’t it – I’m certainly guilty of thinking of my to-do list more than I focus on the snuggles.

6. Ellen

Louise this is gorgeous! I recently wrote a rhyme about how TM won’t nap in his cot, only on me, but you’re so right – these moments won’t last forever. Lovely snuggly picture! #BloggerClubUK

Thank you Ellen – I remember those days of Sophie mostly falling asleep on me and they feel like a very long time ago now!

7. Pippa

Oh how I wish I could step back in time
    And pick up where I left off with those babies of mine
    To sit and snuggle and enjoy that one last cuddle
    But alas it’s too late now so I have to make do
    with the next generation Of which I have two
    Don’t rush your child’s life and wish them away
    take time to just sit and watch them play
    The washing can wait the dinner be late
    Just sit and snuggle enjoy one last cuddle

Oh if only we could go back now and then
      To stop and enjoy that precious time when
      Our babies were small: without the sleep deprivation
      Plus the knowledge of hindsight would bring new appreciation
      But sadly we can’t so those moments we share
      Will be more fully enjoyed because they’re so rare
      Thanks for your comment and for taking the time
      To respond with such a wonderful rhyme!

Thank you Kathryn – definitely normal but I’ve learned to appreciate those snuggles more now they are becoming less frequent!

8. Plutonium Sox

Aw that’s so lovely Louise. You’re right, we all need to make the most of the moments that might seem time-sapping at the time but actually they’re the moments that matter.
    Nat.x

Thank you Nat – it is hard to appreciate them when our little ones are small and we are struggling with all the challenges that babyhood and toddlerhood bring but now that those moments are dwindling, I realise how precious they were x

9. Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops

Awww this is so beautiful and so very true. It can be so hard to let go of the constant stream of things we are supposed to be doing and just be in the moment. I do miss those cuddles with Boo as she is too busy for me now and doesn’t want to sit still! It really doesn’t feel like it during those long sleepless nights when they are babies but time does go so very fast.

Thank you Jenni – definitely agree that it didn’t feel like time went fast during the sleepless nights but now that these little ones are growing up, it feels like it whizzed past!

10. Michelle

I love this. It captures how I feel a lot of the time, that guilt about what I should be doing. I have Wednesdays off and determine not to worry and just spend the time playing with my baby. Your poem is very thought provoking #Prose4T

11. Debbie

Hi Louise , you’ve really managed to capture what it’s like being a Mum perfectly. Often it’s not until the moments have passed that we learn to appreciate them.

xx

12. Sara | mumturnedmom

Ah, I can relate to this so much, especially now that cuddles like this are so few and far between. Important to remember to take a moment every so often and savour. Thank you so much for sharing with #ThePrompt x

13. Sam

What a sweet poem Louise. So true though – it’s way too easy to take our children and their need for us at this young age for granted. We definitely need to be mindful of that and soak up the beauty of these fleeting moments. Thanks so much for linking up to #thetruthabout this week – nice to see you back! Xx