One of those days

It is just after five in the morning
As you awake to the baby’s loud cries
The hours of sleep you could count on one hand
And it’s so hard just to open your eyes

Seven o’clock in the morning
What little patience you had wearing thin
The children are crying and squabbling over a toy
And you wonder if it’s too early for gin

Quarter to ten in the morning
Off in the car – time to take the kids out
Getting beeped at and cut up, then stuck in a jam
Why are there so many numpties about?

Lunchtime – have the kids actually eaten?
Or just thrown all their food on the floor?
There’s yogurt smeared across the table
And baked beans smeared all over the door

The pre-dinner meltdown has started
Naptime was (im)politely declined
The easy option of nuggets and chips then it is

The children are tucked up and now fast asleep
‘What sweet little darlings’ you say
And your heart overflows with love watching them there
As the stress of the day melts away

© Louise George – 25th September 2014

One of those days - Little Hearts, Big Love

Joining in with Verily Victoria Vocalises for Prose for Thought and Post, Comment, Love:

Prose for Thought
Post Comment Love
And then the fun began...

28 thoughts on “One of those days

1. maddy@writingbubble

Love this – just so true! There’s a sweetness about a sleeping child that makes up for any amount of food-smearage and tantrum throwing. Thankfully! #prose4T

1. liquoriceuk

Thank you – sleeping children are just so adorable. They can be adorable in the day too but sometimes it is easy just to get too focused on the food-smearage and tantrums!

2. Emma from over at LIFE AS IT IS

I love the way you have framed this through the day – the chaos captured so perfectly. God it’s utterly crap at times isn’t it?! Brilliant x

3. Katie Haydock

Just gorgeous… they can just be little horrors all day and as soon as they are asleep you miss them! Lol. All part of being a loving mummy I suppose.
    Love this, well done xx

4. deskmonkeymummy

Nuggets and chips are not the easy option here. There are a lot of ways to burn freezer dinners.
    This poem is awesome. Completely sums up a day in the life of a frazzled parent. Bed time is great, isn’t it? x

1. liquoriceuk

Lol, yes I have been known to burn nuggets and chips! Glad you liked the poem – and yes, bedtime is awesome! I often look at my sleeping children and wonder why on earth I got so stressed out!

1. deskmonkeymummy

Same here! They’re so innocent and cut ewhen they’re asleep. Hard to believe they’re capable of trashing the house in five seconds flat x

5. Sam

Ah great poem Louise! And all so very, very recognisable! It’s so true that we forgive them everything when they are asleep – they just look like little angels. So true that the days are long but the years are short! Thanks for linking up again hon X #thetruthabout

6. Fiona @ Free Range Chick

Louise, you’re like a linky genius here!!! The truth in prose, with a bit of #PoCoLo thrown in. To coin Wayne’s World’s phrase, ‘we’re not worthy!’ *Fiona bows down*. Seriously, I wish I could write poems. Long-winded sentences and paragraphs I can do with no problem, but poems or songs, not a chance. And it sums up ‘one of those days’ beautifully. Awesome! xx

Lol, this is possibly my favourite comment ever! Thank you so much – was making the most of the different linkys with this one! Glad you liked my poem 🙂

1. Fiona @ Free Range Chick

Ha, brilliant Louise! That’s wonderful to know that that could have been your favourite comment ever… Heck, does this mean it is all downhill from here for me? You certainly did make the most of those linkys (I’m certain we should all be calling them ‘linkies’, but none of us do, do we?). I loved your poem! #thetruthabout xx